Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerboa

What's wrong with my Fuerte Avacado tree???

jerboa
13 years ago

I bought this tree from Armstrong, planted it with some fertilizer mixed in and it hasnt really grown an inch. It's still green , and puts out new leaves, but it doesnt grow at all? (vertically, or horizontally, just replenishes leaves)

The soil is no good, decomposed granite. BUt it has enough water..although lately the ice plant has been crowding it.

I clearly know little, please advise , I would like it to grow big.

Oh, and it gets direct sun, 70% of the daytime.

Comments (11)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Jerboa, how long have you had it? They can start out slow, but by the third year, watch out!

I would carefully remove all of the iceplant beneath in to about two feet away from the drip line, and keep it away from the tree. Avocados have shallow feeder roots right at the surface of the soil and they do not like any competition from other plants. After you remove all of the iceplant, mulch very heavily under the avocado with compost. Don't remove the leaves that accumulate under the tree- they will help keep the roots cool.

Avocados also like plenty of nitrogen. Most people fertilize them heavily in March. They also like plenty of water. I water mine twice a week.

Fuertes may be one of the avocados that needs to be fertilized by another tree. I had one that never produced so I took it out. Maybe someone will chime in with information about that.

Good luck!
    Renee

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh god, I hope it doesnt need cross polinization.

thanks for the tips, I wish I knew it had shallow feeder roots!!!

I have had it for a year and some change, and it just sits there.

The deer ate its leaves once too, got thru the chicken wire somehow.

I'll do as you say!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Hose isnt Hoseing you-young Avocados are tempermental-and that ice plant is a bad idea under it. Mulching is an excellent way to encourage good rooting-it also keeps an even soil moisture content-no feast or famine. Remove Ice plant,mulch, add a mild fertilizer in spring and watch it grow more in half a year than it has in a whole year-maybe faster.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Hi Jerboa,
    I don't think you have to worry about cross-pollination in our climate. I found this thread below.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: No need to cross-pollinate Fuertes

• jerboa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks guys!

• kristincarol
    13 years ago

Fuertes do indeed need cross-pollination. I grew up with a beautiful tree in our backyard in Long Beach which my father planted and grafted 3 or 4 times before the graft took. It was a heavy producer although Fuertes are alternate bearers which is why the aren't grown commercially anymore.

• kristincarol
    13 years ago

And, btw, we never ever fertilized our tree although the leaves were left to get many inches thick beneath the tree as suggested by stanofh. (My mother nearly killed it by raking fastidiously/neurotically and an arborist set her straight on that.)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

If there is another avocado within a mile or two then your Fuerte will get cross-pollanized. The pollen can really travel.

The best mulch is the fallen leaves from the tree itself.

• jean001a
    13 years ago

It was said: "Fuertes do indeed need cross-pollination. I grew up with a beautiful tree in our backyard in Long Beach "

I also lived in Long Beach. A neighbor across the street had a Fuerte which fruited prolifically without a companion tree or graft in the same yard.

In a home garden, you'll have adequate A & B flowers open at the same time to produce prodigious crops. Then, too, a neighboring tree can usually be counted on to assist production.

• ambro666
    10 years ago

I have two of them the other one seems fine this one the leaves keep getting brown

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Is that black weed cloth under the mulch, ambro? I don't think avocados like that. I would remove it before doing anything else. The shade of the tree and the mulch will eventually prevent weeds from sprouting.

It's possible that your baby tree is getting sunscald. Baby avocados need to be protected from our hot summer sun for the first one or two seasons. You can put a large umbrella over it or cover it with shade cloth. That should prevent the brown leaves.
    Renee

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting