Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

starting some seeds, would like to know other's experiences

Central_Cali369
15 years ago

I have some seeds that i recently bought and am germinating indoors. They will eventually be planted outdoors in USDA zone 9/Sunset zone 9. I would like to know people's experience with germinating these, and also growing these. I have the following:

1. Aloe Dichotoma - already got 100% germination. Would like to know people's experience with growing it. How fast does it grow? How much room to give it? When to plant outside?...

2. Aloe Broomii - Same as Aloe Dichotoma

3. Eucalyptus Torquata - Haven't germinated yet, still waiting. It has only been a week since i sowed them.

4. Eucalyptus Tetraptera - Same situation as E. Torquata

5. Caesalpinia Pulcherrima - Already germinated. Would like to know how hardy it is? When to plant outside? ...

6. Banksia Coccinea - apparently, very difficult to germinate, or so i've read. I've surface-sowed a few in a greenhouse-type container with bottom heat. They've been there for a week so far. I also saved a couple for other attempts later on when spring comes if this attempt is in vain. Any help from the pro seedsmen?

Comments (7)

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Opps! i forgot one.

7. Epilobium canum (CA native fuchsia). I already got a couple to germinate but would like to know other's advice on growing it? No water? little water? what about drainage?

• queerbychoice
    15 years ago

I haven't tried growing any California fuchsias from seed, but I bought two in one-gallon pots. I think one of mine died of drought; the other is still alive. My understanding is that they're not supposed to be very picky about drainage or watering or anything else. Some drainage is good, but it doesn't have to be excellent drainage. And they're supposed to be fairly drought-tolerant, at least after a year or so. But for the first year, I'd recommend giving them a fair amount of water, since mine seemed to need it.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I have Epilobium here for 15 years in clay/loam soil with no water after first summer. It gets rank and ratty looking and I cut it back to about six inches. I also dig out and replant some if it starts taking up too much space. It blooms when nothing else is available for the humming birds. Al

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input on CA fuchsia. I have two sprouts already, which is more than enough for the TINY plot of land i like to call my yard. lol. I will put in a drip line outlet for these and keep them well-watered for the first year then i'll cut back.

Anyone have any personal experience with any of the others i'm germinating?

• davissue_zone9
    15 years ago

Caesalpinia Pulcherrima is sensitive to frost, and the roots rot out in cold soil. I've tried several times to overwinter them in the ground with frost protection, and never had them come back. I have been able to overwinter them in pots in an unheated enclosed porch, they went dormant but revived with warm weather. I'm in Sunset zone 14, in the Sacramento area.

• ponyexpress_1
    11 years ago

Central_Cali369, How did you get yours to germinate? I have had mine surface sown//barely covered with saran wrap over the container for about 3 weeks now and nothing is happening. Thanks

• Central_Cali369
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ponyexpress,

I got all of these to germinate outdoors without any extra help from me. I planted them in 4-inch pots using seed-starting mix from the HD, and made sure to keep them moist. I got quite a bit of the CA fuchsia to germinate, and the aloes all were quick to germinate. The Banksia were the slowest to germinate and not all the seeds germinated. I currently have two small Banksia from that batch of seeds.