Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

Herbs or ? to plant now and give in February

k9fan
10 years ago

We're planning to have a house party in mid-February and as a sort of party favor, I'd like to give each guest a small potted herb. We're on the San Francisco peninsula, so the weather is not too cold. If I start the seeds on my enclosed porch now, do I have enough time to get herbs to an acceptable size in six weeks? The porch has double-paned windows, can get warm in the day, and doesn't get colder than the mid-50's at night. Which herb would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments (3)

• vall3fam
    10 years ago

Basil and cilantro both sprout quickly and could be satisfactory size by mid-February. You could try those.

Elaine

• hattichranch
    10 years ago

Agree with Elaine - Genovese Basil germinate/grows quickly would definitely be to appropriate gift size by then.

• k9fan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I ended up buying the basil seeds that our local organic gardening store had in stock, which was a packet of three different kinds of seeds mixed together. I don't think any of them were Genovese, but anyway, I planted them on Jan 2 (3-4 seeds per pot, no way to tell which seed represented which variety) and warmed them from below until they started to sprout. Of the 40 pots, about 34 germinated and are looking like they'll perhaps make it. I'm putting them out in the daytime (it's unseasonably warm here in the San Francisco Bay Area) and turning a "bright light" that I found on them for a few hours each night. Fingers crossed that I'll have continued success, although perhaps not a plant for every guest.