Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Good native grass for Bay Area that will tolerate dog traffic?

artemis78
14 years ago

After a couple of years, we've finally killed almost all of our bermuda grass and are getting ready to move forward with seeding or sodding a more drought tolerant lawn in this area. I'd initially looked at carex pansa and festuca rubra as options, but am having second thoughts about how these will hold up to a large dog running across the lawn regularly.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these grasses or others that might hold up well to moderate to heavy traffic (85 lb young dog) but also be drought tolerant (dry summers, rainy winters) and grow in heavy clay soil? (I know, I'm asking for a lot! :)

Our patch is pretty small since we've landscaped most of it to non-lawn uses, but we would like to preserve an area that can be run in freely by dogs/kids/etc. Doesn't need to be grass per se---just something that will not be mud in winter and not have to be continually reseeded to keep in shape. We aren't picky about appearances and are looking at grasses that don't need to be mowed regularly.

Any suggestions would be great--thanks!

Comments (3)