Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice, 32 degrees F this morning

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 11:20

Frost on the cars, ice on the top of some pans of water I had out to catch rainwater, the thermometer read exactly 32.0 degrees F this morning here in north OC. Frost on the grass and leaves of many plants too. Will have to see if it killed any non frost resistant plants or my avocado or citrus trees. But they should survive if this is as bad as it gets. Would probably take a real hard freeze like 27 degrees for several hours to kill them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice, 32 degrees F this morning

Wow! Im in central OC. It was pretty cold, but i didn't see any sighs of ice.

o
RE: Ice, 32 degrees F this morning

Don't worry about the citrus trees. Would have to take many hours of much lower temps to outright kill them. I have several citrus( Eureka Lemon, Meyer Lemon, Bearrs Lime, Valencia and Washington Oranges) growing in my yard here in Sacramento where we go down to 32 or a bit lower periodically each winter and the trees and fruit are fine. The fruits usually start to get damaged at several hours under 27 or 28 , but it would take quite a few hours down in the teens to kill the tree. If you're talking about a small young newly planted tree then that would be more sensitive of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here