Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No-Care Plants

Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 12:19

This plant was given to me over 20 years ago...in the same pot...and has been sitting in this spot for 15 years here..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No-Care Plants

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 12:22

Queen's Tears / billbergia nutans. It obviously hasn't minded the neglect....

o

My guess would be, wcgypsy, that your bilbergia has grown right through the bottom of the pot and is firmly rooted in the ground. It would be a major undertaking to move it. I rescued one decades ago that was out in the hot sun, unwatered, on a nearby rooftop garden after the owners had departed. And a pitiful looking thing it was, too. It bounced back to look something like yours. I divided it, rerooted the pieces, and gave the new plants to friends as presents. A true Lazarus plant.

Kay

o

Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 13:40

Rooted into the ground?..lol...Yes, I would imagine so since two of the trees that shade it were set down, in their pots in that same area at the same time and proceeded to root into the ground also...through a thin layer of asphalt. Would I have planted a schinus and a pistache that close together? No, but I'm happy with it anyway. I often find that even with seedling trees, they will come up in a spot that I wouldn't have chosen, but when I give it some thought, I realize I like that tree in that spot......

o

Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 13:42

The pistache is growing about 3 ft away from the schinus...

o

Enchanting. I love mature trees.

o

Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 21:54

Oh, me too. I'm a tree-hugger..lol..I'll always be happy if I can just have trees and my grasses.

o

And beautiful white picket fences.

o

Incidentally, that's not straight Queen's Tears (Billbergia nutans), but the hybrid between B. nutans & B. baraquiniana. It's traditionally labeled as Billbergia x windii. It's sometimes marketed as "Angel's Tears."

o

Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 13:59

Thank you so much...I would never have known that! That's what I appreciate most here...people with a vast array of knowledge.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 20:35

I also grow Billbergia x windii, and I don't think it is this hybrid either. It looks more like a Billbergia vittata to me, due to the pronounced silver striping on the leaf undersides. Also, B. x windii has even larger, showier bracts and the inflorescence usually extends downwards for at least a foot when fully extended; your bloom spikes look to be shorter and less pendant.

o

Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 21:08

B. vittata does show the banding that mine has. I don't see that on pics of the B. windii. The info I found on B. windii stated it's to 1 ft tall and mine is taller than that. You guys have taken me into the wider world of Billbergia....and in that search I saw a variegated one that I now feel I need to have...thanks...
I do have some needing-to-be-divided other old billbergias that look as though they may be B.windii.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here