Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing roses in Buena Park?

Posted by madabouteu 8A - central Alabama (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 13:13

My ex-wife (we still are on good terms with each other!) is looking for a fast-growing clmbing rose to act as a privacy fence in Buena Park in Orange County. I have suggested several, including Peggy Martin, but would like to hear suggestions from those of you in the state.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing roses in Buena Park?

I like my Climbing Pinkie. Renae also does well here.
Renee

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 1:03

Check out the climbing roses on the web site for San Marcos Growers Nursery in Santa Barbara for some good choices for southern California.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 21:24

Roses are going to be somewhat ratty in winter here, so the privacy won't be year round. If that is an issue, look at something evergreen. Also roses don't tend to be that dense (for complete visual privacy) unless they are massive growers, like say 'Mme Alfred Carriere'. How much room is there? Is it a matter of physical privacy (the prickles) or visual?

Something like a row of 'Skyrocket' junipers might be more effective, faster, and easier. Climbing roses (even here) can take 3-5 years to get big. A 'Lady Banks' would be fast, but it will also have the potential to rapidly engulf an entire house and yard, which can be a drawback.

One that might work, and also flower like crazy year round would be 'Secret Garden Musk Climber'. It grows very fast once the roots establish, and is fairly impervious to disease. You will have to look for a specialty rose grower that carries it, though. There's a big SGMC planted at Descanso.

o

Cecile Brunner is a big huge fast pink growing climbing rose. It even gets too big too fast, but if you want a privacy screen you can't beat it. It is like a weed, that can't even be stopped. I see it all over the place, taking over fenses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here