Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best flowering vines for containers?

Posted by robcorreia 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 07 at 13:34

Hi guys, question!
I have a trellis on my stone patio and wanted 2 different flowering vines to climb on the 2 wood posts. I know vines need lots of room for their usually deep roots, but I have no choice, they will need to grow in pots.

What would you recommend? They get sun most of the day.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best flowering vines for containers?

Abutilon megapotamicum TRAILING CHINESE LANTERN
Clematis cirrhosa MEDITERRANEAN CLEMATIS
Clematis viticella ITALIAN CLEMATIS
Jasminum angulare SOUTH AFRICAN JASMINE
Mandevilla (Dipladenia) splendens DIPLADENIA
Maurandya antirrhiniflora SNAPDRAGON VINE
Pandorea jasminoides BOWER VINE
Rhodochiton atrosanguineus PURPLE BELL VINE
Rosa ‘Absolutely’, Angel Pink, Good as Gold,
‘Jeanne Lajoie’, Little Girl, ‘Nozomi’, Pink Above
All, ‘Red Cascade’, Summertime, ‘Work of Art’
MINIATURE CLIMBING ROSES
Rosa 'Aloha', Altisimo, Anemone, Climbing Flutterbye,
Cocktail, Dortmund, Francis E. Lester, Grandmother’s
Hat, Hettie, Lady Carolina, Shadow Dancer RAMBLERS
and other small climbing roses
Sollya parviflora AUSTRALIAN BLUEBELL CREEPER

Also, seriously consider a VERY large continare (minimum 24"), repotting with fresh soil every 3-5 years, and fertilizing on a regular basis (every three months).

Joe

o

Stephanotis floribunda or Mandevilla "parasol red" series are small vines for your zone 10 if its coastal soucal and mild,warm sun in summer. If your a hot climate, Bouganvillea is a great start..many other vines can intermingle with it.I have Tecomaria capensis blended with mine.Works more or less.

o

• Posted by sumcool Cen. Coast/s17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 16:15

Here on the Central Coast, I planted (in 24" pots - Joe)bower vine. That was this summer, and they've been growing and blooming full time ever since. On the other side, planted hardenbergia, which hopefully will meet the bower vine, it's doing well, but is growing much more slowly.
Hope this helps.

o

Thunbergias
hummingbird vine
bower vine
hardenbergias
mandeville
clematis
Kathi

o
Can I over winter my vigna vine, and when will it flower?

I have a vigna vine potted on my deck, and it's about 3ft. tall so far, climbing a trellis. No flowers though. Does it have to be more mature? And, in about 2 months it'll be getting colder here (Vermont) and I want to be able to keep it alive somehow, or, be able to grow it from seed. Any answers??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here