Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for your viewing pleasure, a little justicia

Posted by deep___roots ca9/sunset15 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 13:45

I forgot this plant was even alive, but it is flowering now. Nice tropical colors.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for your viewing pleasure, a little justicia

Are you growing it outside?
What species is it?

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 9:33

It looks like it could be Justicia fulvicoma, a newer Justicia introduction from Mexico that I first saw a couple of years ago at the UC Berkeley Botanic Garden in their entry display garden. I have this growing in my own garden as well, and have found that it needs more sun and heat than I can give it to really thrive, and tends to bloom later in the year for me, not typically starting to bloom until September into December. It is also more tender than the more common Justicia brandegeana, which blooms heavily for me all year round. If you have a hot spot in the garden that doesn't get frost, it is a very colorful relatively low water using plant that can be very colorful in full bloom. At the UCBBG, they have it combined with other drought/heat loving things such as Aloe castanea and Dasylirion wheeleri and Echeveria agavoides and Cycads, and it looks gorgeous, growing about four foot across by 2 foot tall.

o

bahia: you are good. I think I did get it at the Berkeley Botanical. I probably have it in too much shade. I'm sure the tag is present somewhere in the planting area. I made a small planting bed close to the back of my shed, and there is a small salvia, some kind of small heather, the justicia and a hellebore. A railroad tie separates this small bed from a clump of francoa (maiden's wreath). I love maiden's wreath for the cut flowers, but the plant really can spread and grow over its little neighbors.
I might look around for a less-crowded and sunnier spot for this little gem. Thanks for the info.

o

Thanks for posting the photo. Love looking at photos of plants and gardens!
Renee

o

Had it-until a moron stepped on it. Never recovered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here