Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderbarb

Major rain

borderbarb
13 years ago

Looks like the northern and central state folks will get significant rain [" at least 6 inches on western slopes with the potential for up to a foot in some locations."] We southerners will only get 'mild' rainfall, but greatful for whatever we get!

Here is a link that might be useful: AccuWeather.com

Comments (16)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

In the bay area its unheard of to get 4 straight days of heavy(for us) rain. THAT'S PNW weather. I'm telling you thats on top of the bay area already sopping wet already..its like if its permeable to water..its almost moldy.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Rain is better than it just looking dreary all the time, at least there's an excuse. I am so tired of Dreary.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

We are about 130% normal for this day in the season. The runoff has been minimal with no flooding expected. What I miss is the three or four sunny days between storms, that allows the gardener to cleanup the mess that needs cutting back and hauling away. We have a cold drizzle between rain storms, that keeps you inside. Al

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    13 years ago

I've got just over half inch since Thurs night. The air smells nice, fresh and clean. NWS says the San Gabriels could get up to 12 inches by Monday and the heaviest rainfall comes Wed...there will be bad things happening with people homes and hillsides if that holds true.
    I'm glad I am not in those burn areas from the Station fire or other fires but I those that do I feel bad for them especially this next week.
    But I will still thank Hawaii and the pineapple express for any moisture. At least this is a warm rain and not frosting and icing like 2-3 weeks ago which I have damage but I think everything will be fine come spring.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    13 years ago

Yikes. If this is mild I would hate to see heavy.

• borderbarb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was looking for data on high/low rain records. Couldn't exactly find what I was looking for, but this link has some interesting stuff.

State precipitation record for 24 hours - Hoegees Camp, Arcadia California, 1/26/1942, 26.12"

State precipitation record for 1 year - Monumental, California, northwestern California, 1909, 153.54"

The most catastrophic California flooding of record occurred in the winter of 1861�1862, when there were record
    floods over the entire length of the state. During December and January, many places received 200% to 400% of
    their average rainfall. As a result, the Central Valley became a large (5,000 square mile) inland lake. The size
    of this lake made it twice as large as the Great Salt Lake and would currently make it the 18th largest lake in the
    world. The city of Sacramento was under several feet of water, and newly elected Governor Leland Stanford had
    to be rowed to his inauguration. Weather scientists estimate that the event was a once-in-a-30,000-year event.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA rain data

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Whats to laugh is,that before this started the SF Chronicle had a front page story where their resident eco-writer had interviewed a NOAA scientist who said that he was sure El Nina (and gave exact proof)would create a dry December and January.
    He had proof and science on his side.

• socks
    13 years ago

I read that too, Stan. The weather people do the best they can, but sometimes they make mistakes. Obviously we don't understand everything about weather and Earth's changing climate. We have had heavy, relentless rain here for many yours. (So. CA)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Over five inches today in Simi Valley.
    I guess the guys pouring the concrete driveway tomorrow will have to wait...
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I lied. Well, actually, it's more embarrassing than that- I added wrong. 3 1/2 inches as of yesterday, just under an inch today.
    Renee

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    13 years ago

Renee, I thought maybe you meant since the storm started on thursday.
    I've got about 4.75 since thursday night.
    My waterfall pond is gonna overflow probably weds.
    Its oval and about 3x5feet and 18 inches deep when I run it, so overflow will be about 22 inches deep.

• dicot
    13 years ago

12' lavatera down in my yard, neighbors' wall collapsed from the weight if their soaked ivy, eucalyptus trees down in the park and the worst rain coming today and tomorrow. Ready to be done with this and actually get outdoors again.

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Well, I think I've had enough rain for now and the rest of you can have my share of anymore on the way......

• californian
    13 years ago

It actually ended up that southern California got most of the rain, which is very unusual. Here in Fullerton in North Orange County I measured 7.5 inches in my rain gauge so far in the five days it has been raining almost continuously, with still one more day of this predicted. Luckily it has been a warm gentle rain, so almost all of it soaked in and little runoff so far. Tomorrow possible thunderstorms are predicted so that can change.
    I was doing a little research and in 1862 it rained for 45 days straight, so much rain that the state went bankrupt. In recent years the only years comparable to this year were 1969 and 1986. With the soil now saturated, if we get some very strong winds we could see a lot of trees down.
    But anyway, I expect next year to be a banner year for my fruit trees and garden as this rain has hopefully leached the salt buildup out of my soil from watering it with salty Colorado River water from the hose and softened the clay to where the roots can grow in it.

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

We just finished cutting up a 15-20 ft myoporum that went down across the back drive. That's not so bad...it is the *really* tall eucs that didn't get cut back for firewood this year that are worrying me.

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

In 1862 the city of Sacramento filled in main street with 10' of fill dirt and made the first floor the basement and the second floor the ground level for store fronts. In some areas the old store fronts still exist today underground. They had been raising the levies height but that year finally gave up and raise the street.