Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something wrong with my Avocado?

Posted by SeanPez none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 14:18

Hello All,

I have planted this HAAS avocado tree in the ground since October. I have not seen any new growth, and the leaves are continually turning brown at the tips. I dont know what to do!! I thought it was lonely so i bought a Fuerte yesterday to keep it company. Also the fuerte has a piece of the stem damaged or something. Is it okay?

Haas:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Fuerte:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Here are some pictures.

Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

-Sean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something wrong with my Avocado?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 16:33

Looks like significant stem damage on the last picture. Return it and get another.

Do not expect them to do any growing until it warms up in spring. Baby avocado trees won't grow at this time of year (unless you are in southern Mexico). They grow when it is warm. Mulch the area around the base with a thick (4-6") mulch, keeping the area immediately around the base of the trunk clear. The root systems are sensitive and like protection.

o
RE: Something wrong with my Avocado?

The necrosis at the tips or edges of the leaves is usually caused by the roots taking up a chemical from the soil the plant can not use. Sometimes Boron or another chemical natural to your soil, or some from your irrigation water, or even something you may have added, trying to improve the soil. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here