Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID needed

Posted by gobluedjm 9/18 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 14:31

Can someone please tell me what kind of tree this is.
It drops leaves and branchs twice a year but doesn't go completely bare or deciduous.
This is the first time I remember seeing the black berries after 3 years living here. The berries are only about 1/4 inch and have't seen the birds eating them...yet.
They are becoming a mess on the sidewalk and driveway.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID needed

Cinnamomum camphora.

Joe

o

Thanks Joe! Now I know why the birds aren't eating them.

o

Beautiful shade, but those berries reseed all over the place and small branches break off all the time! There's one on the neighbors backyard that is more to my side and it litters terribly; then, there is one on the front by the sidewalk that litters into my flower beds. I like the scent, but wished they weren't there.

o

I hear you eloise. I am beginning to hate it. Doesn't give any shade to me since on the N side, but some say its the prettiest tree on the street...they don't have to clean up after it.

o

I have planted a number of them to hide various views. When we did this no one said how large they get. I do love them tho' and will worry about their eventual size when they become a problem.

o

If you have the room they are a beautiful tree, and any tree makes some kind of a mess. Be careful of keeping the roots too wet. They often fail as a lawn tree from the excess watering of the lawn. Al

o

I noticed yesterday the robins are eating the berries.
I read how big it gets and the area is only about 12x15 feet bordered by cement and neighbors grass. It'll have to come out sooner or later as I expect water and sewer lines are beneath it.
I only water twice a week in summer (5 minutes) as the grass is mostly shaded from it or the house so shouldn't be a problem and the area is sloped.
There are many more desirable trees I would put there for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here