Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistybeagle127

Year-Round CA hummers

MistyBeagle127
11 years ago

Are hummers year round in all parts of CA? Does anyone know of a good place to buy a good priced mobile home for retirement in California?

Comments (10)

• socal23
    11 years ago

If you want year-round hummingbirds in California, you need coastal regions. Ventura County probably has the lowest prices of any place with year-round populations of both Allen's and Anna's Hummingbirds.

Allen's Hummingbird Range

Anna's Hummingbird Range

Black Chinned Hummingbird Range

Costa's Hummingbird Range

Rufous Hummingbird Range

Ryan

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

I have Anna's all year here and I'm 45 miles from the coast. I get frost in winter, hail a few times a year and heat in summer to 110.
    I have Rufous that pass thru in spring. I also half black chinned around in summer sometimes.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

There are at least two Californias. Do you want Northern or Southern California, and what kind of weather can you tolerate? Do you need greenery or do you like the desert? If you like the heat and the desert, there are a lot of cheap places to live here.

• CA Kate z9
    11 years ago

We have Anna's that stay all winter if they have a good food-source garden available to them..... something I've always provided.

Fresno is a very reasonable place to live, plus has all that one might need in the way of shopping, fresh food,and medical services. I feel it's one of California's best kept secrets.

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

We have hummers here in Fallbrook year round and oh, there are so many different areas of California.....much to choose from.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

You simply need to plant the right plants in So Cal. If they have food all year they are here all year. I have a Salvia discolor that blooms non-stop 365 days/year, and there are hummers fighting over it 365 days/year.

California is generally a very expensive place to live in comparison with most of the rest of the country. The farther inland from the ocean the less expensive it is, but it is also hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, more windy, and more arid.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Hummers will stay anywhere they can find food easily. If you've got the right plants, you'll have hummers.

Note that Rufous hummers, although small and drab-looking, are ferociously territorial. They drove off the bigger, prettier Annas from our lot as soon as I started planting shrubs that (inadvertently) provided year-round food.

California has a zillion or so micro-climates, so as everyone has pointed out, you need to make your decision on where you want to live first. The weather on the coast is better but the lifestyle costs a lot more even away from the major cities.

Manufactured housing (the new name for mobile homes) is common and always much less expensive. The difficulty in coastal urban areas is that sometimes the park will close down and then you're stuck having to move. It doesn't happen often but it DOES happen, because the land originally was cheap for the park but has appreciated phenomenally over the decades.

There are RE agents who specialize in mfg housing but you need to decide on an area to live in first. To be honest, if I were looking for a really inexpensive place to live, CA wouldn't be my first choice. We have some of the highest taxes in the nation and are considered very retiree-tax unfriendly.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

The extreme north coast of California still has affordable housing (Humboldt and Del Norte counties, to be exact) and we have tons of several kinds of hummers not to mention all other sorts of wild birds and animals. As long as you don't need a job that pays a living wage, specialized medical care or cheap goods it is great.

• kristincarol
    11 years ago

I live in a mobile home on my own 3/4 acre lot and it is a common thing here. We have parks, too, but why pay all that for land you don't own when you could have acres and acres for yourself at the same price, relatively speaking.

• Dick_Sonia
    11 years ago

California covers a huge amount of latitudinal span. Along the very southern coast it can be almost subtropical with less than 10" of rain annually. Along the northern third of the coast it is damp and chilly -- even in summer -- with up to six feet of rain a year. Surely hummingbird residency isn't going to be a major consideration for where you will end up moving to? Nor should you assume that year-round hummers are indicative of a balmy climate. Even Seattle has some winter hummingbirds.
    The surest recipe for disappointment is to look for someplace in California that seems to offer what you enjoyed back home. If you like citrus trees, palms, deserts, dry air and mountains, California may be your paradise. If you want to find some version of the Northeast or the Midwest in a California climate, you'll last about 18 months before you realize you're spending five times as much money to pursue a fake version of something you could have for much less in Arkansas or North Carolina. You'll go home tens of thousands of dollars poorer for your experiment. Visit first. In fact, hang out on the forum linked to below first. It has a lot of first-hand information about California relocation.

Here is a link that might be useful: City-data's California forum

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts