Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

letting veggie beds lie fallow to deter pests

Hi all,

I have posted over in Vegetables and Garden Clinic and apologies for posting follow up questions here but - I think I need the perspective of folks who understand our climate. I had a terrible spider mite problem after neglecting my summer veggies when I got too busy to pull them out of the beds - and anyway, finally got it all taken out and letting the beds rest.

I also had powdery mildew last summer on zucchini and squash.

I've been asking if there is a cover crop (clover? barley? rye) I could plant to improve the soil while I let it rest but it seems people are recommending letting the beds lie fallow for the winter.

What would you do to help break the pest cycle in our dry climate (soCal)? Leave them bare for a few months? Cover with mulch? Go ahead and plant things that don't especially attract mites (kale? carrots?)

Leaving them naked seems wrong to me. I'd like to do what I can to discourage the mites but also be either improving my soil or getting my winter veggies going.

It is raining like crazy today which is great! But, I can't depend on that this winter so also - should I be watering bare beds to keep them from drying out?

Advice?
thanks in advance!!

Comments (6)