Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Mexican Sun Flower recover from frost.?

Posted by dewey1945 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 16:22

We got hit with our first frost last night and the young Tithonia Rotundifolia plants I had sitting out in pots took it pretty hard and look like gonners for the season if not for good. I have read this plant can be raised as a perenial in 9a and warmer so I'm wondering if it is worth saving these potted plants in the hope they will come back in the spring. If so, what should I do to insure the best chance for recovery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Mexican Sun Flower recover from frost.?

The idea behind growing tender plants as die-back perennials is that the earth is a good insulator and many times a plant's rootstock will survive moderately cold weather that kills the top growth. If the plant is well established in the ground before the freeze, and well mulched, dormant buds near soil level may survive to shoot again the following spring.

Keeping plants in containers changes all that as the roots are above grade and exposed to the cold. The best thing at this point would be to put them in a cool greenhouse. But honestly, they are so easily planted anew as seed-grown annuals that I don't think I would bother. You could also put them in a garage or other freeze-sheltered spot and plant them out if they show signs of recovery in the spring. Next time, if you want to try growing them as perennials, get them in the ground in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here