Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queerbychoice

Happy Holidays from Under the Lake

queerbychoice
13 years ago

Happy Holidays . . . whichever ones you celebrate. Around here, I think we'll be celebrating "We Haven't Drowned Yet" Day, provided that we manage to keep achieving that feat for long enough to celebrate it.

I took the advice of people here and bought a sump pump, hoping to save my poor garden's life with it. I'm very glad I did, but not so much for the sake of saving the garden as for the sake of preventing the house from being flooded. Yesterday I pumped 5,250 gallons of water out of the back yard, and today it's just as wet as it was before I started. Here is the back yard after I pumped as much of the water out as I could.

{{gwi:567516}}

And here is the back yard less than 24 hours after I pumped the water out . . . all ready to start the process over again.

{{gwi:567517}}

I hadn't planned on living at the bottom of a lake.

{{gwi:567518}}

However, my plants are actually doing fine so far. I guess I did a decent job of choosing aquatic plants. (Above: Carex praegracilis. Below: Limnanthes douglasii ssp. sulphurea.)

{{gwi:567519}}

I even have a decent variety of flowers. (Below: Penstemon heterophyllus 'Blue Springs.')

{{gwi:567520}}

Even if they do look increasingly bedraggled. (Below: Grindelia hirsutula.)

{{gwi:567521}}

But I miss November, when the leaves were colorful but still attached to the branches, and there was standing water in the yard but only in the locations I had designated for the water to stand. (Below: Cornus stolonifera in November.)

{{gwi:567522}}

Comments (4)