Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Holidays from Under the Lake

Posted by queerbychoice 9a/Sunset 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 16:32

Happy Holidays . . . whichever ones you celebrate. Around here, I think we'll be celebrating "We Haven't Drowned Yet" Day, provided that we manage to keep achieving that feat for long enough to celebrate it.

I took the advice of people here and bought a sump pump, hoping to save my poor garden's life with it. I'm very glad I did, but not so much for the sake of saving the garden as for the sake of preventing the house from being flooded. Yesterday I pumped 5,250 gallons of water out of the back yard, and today it's just as wet as it was before I started. Here is the back yard after I pumped as much of the water out as I could.

And here is the back yard less than 24 hours after I pumped the water out . . . all ready to start the process over again.

I hadn't planned on living at the bottom of a lake.

However, my plants are actually doing fine so far. I guess I did a decent job of choosing aquatic plants. (Above: Carex praegracilis. Below: Limnanthes douglasii ssp. sulphurea.)

I even have a decent variety of flowers. (Below: Penstemon heterophyllus 'Blue Springs.')

Even if they do look increasingly bedraggled. (Below: Grindelia hirsutula.)

But I miss November, when the leaves were colorful but still attached to the branches, and there was standing water in the yard but only in the locations I had designated for the water to stand. (Below: Cornus stolonifera in November.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Holidays from Under the Lake

It's simply amazing that your landlord has not put in a drain. The sump pump seems to be working well- it's a good thing you bought one for this year- I'd hate to see what your house would look like this year if you hadn't.

Your river looks really pretty, though. I like the bridge!

Renee

o

Thanks! The "bridge" is actually a blockage I can't get rid of because there's a huge black plastic pipe that crosses the ditch at that point. I assume the pipe contains something important, though I don't know what. Anyway, the water wouldn't flow past the pipe, so I figured it would look better and keep the pipe safer to cover it back up with dirt.

o

If I was you I would move as soon as it is financially possible/convenient to do so. And rent your next place on the top of a hill!

o

You're lucky, you could grow wasabi in the running water you have there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here