Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintering Sowing in SF - anyone done it?

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 16:32

Hi I just read about winter sowing (http://www.wintersown.org/) and am curious about it. Wondering if anyone in the city of San Francisco has actually tried this and had any success? The temps here don't usually get below 40 degrees (except for that freak almost-frost we had a couple of weeks ago).

I'd love to try it on my newly acquired lavender seeds... Thanks!

This post was edited by a.shau on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 16:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintering Sowing in SF - anyone done it?

You can winter sow in San Fransisco, nature does it all the time. I have a area covered with 1/4 inch hardware cloth to protect seeds from the birds, not the weather, that I use for starting seeds, especially native plant seeds. It is really natures way of stratifying your seeds. The fluctuating temperature between day and night is actually beneficial to the germination of many seeds. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here