Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my cape rush?

Posted by tskn 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 16:59

I bought 6 cape rush (Chondropetalum tectorum) last year from the garden center and planted them all in my front yard facing south. Four of them have nearly doubled in size while 2 of them remain puny. What's wrong? They all are watered on the same sprinkler system and I haven't fertilized. Any ideas why they might not be thriving like the others? Any suggestions on what I should do to them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my cape rush?

• Posted by min3 9N.CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 16:27

gopher? something toxic was poured out in that place? min

o

The only thing I can think of is clogged emitters. A picture would be helpful.

o

I agree with emmarene, maybe your sprinklers aren't doing what you think they are.
Is there a block wall, tree or other plant blocking the sun?
Maybe there is a big rock underneath roots. I have dug up so many at least 4x4x4 inches around here.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 17:45

Tree root competition is something else to consider.

Try not to disturb the Chondropetalum root system. They don't like that. You can try giving them some deep soakings. They come from areas of seasonal flooding that alternate with drought.

o

• Posted by tskn none (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 8:41

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here