Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What variety of pine would make a good living Christmas tree here

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 / 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 17:17

We have 9 pines on site, but they don't smell piney. They have zillions of cones, which we burn in the fireplace, and really long needles.

I'd like to plant a short needled, great smelling pine that can tolerate hot summers and brrr cold winters, but not more than 5 days of freeze.

We have 1.5 acres, so space is not a problem.

I just edited this post to say that you can ignore it. I got all the answers I needed at the Conifer forum! I wish I knew how to delete it.

Thanks!

This post was edited by desertdance on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 12:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What variety of pine would make a good living Christmas tree

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 20:06

Glad you found a species that might work.

o

Did they mention Afghan pine?

o

They didn't mention Afghan pine.

I really loved the look of the Pacific White Fir, so I ordered some seeds, and will try some in pots and some directly in ground where I want them to grow. I only want one nice Christmas tree, but if it has that traditional pine smell, I might put a couple in pots just for bringing inside. IF I can get the seeds to grow!

Suzi

o

Glad you got your answer. For the benefit of someone else, Pinus monophylla Single-Leaf Pinyon Pine is a native tree, grows extremely slowly so it stays Christmas tree size for a long time, is beautiful, and has edible pinenuts (after many years). Monrovia Nursery used to sell a good sized tree in a 10 gal. container. No noticeable fragrance on mine though. I think maybe what you might enjoy is "Douglas fir" sold as Christmas trees and garland, when it's cut or crushed it's very fragrant. You can make tea from the tips too. Pretty easy to find in a native plants nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus monophylla

o

Greenwitch! You are too psychic!! I think the douglas has the Christmas scent, but I bought the white fir for it's beauty. And I snuck in some Pinus monophylia for the edibles. I'm not telling hubby. I'm going to plant them way low on the hill by the other pines...We do have irrigation all over the property. I have seeds (Ebay) and they are stratifying in the fridge right now.

Our property is huge, and a couple Douglas fir wouldn't hurt. Sometimes I hate Ebay! I get tempted! Last night I ordered two Pistaccio trees. They love this climate, so they can dwell by the Macadamias!

A packet of Douglas Fir shouldn't cost too much.....

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here