Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amazing Climbing Rose Suggestion

Posted by monsoon99 Z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 17:25

I live in Pasadena and have a large prominent wall facing south and west. I want to plant a spectacular climbing rose and train it on this wall. I want it to be a repeat bloomer for as long as possible and if fragrant the better, color - not white otherwise ok. I am considering Altissimo but any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amazing Climbing Rose Suggestion

Sounds like a great idea. Might you consider combining several plant varieties for extended bloom and contrasting color display?

o

Joseph's Coat

o

Yes borderbarb. I think that is an even better idea to combine plants as we will certainly have a few months of having to stare at bare canes of the rose plant. Any suggestions?

I love Joseph's coat westelle. Definitely on my list now.

o

I only have a few roses ... Angel Face is my favorite ... takes neglect and less than ideal conditions and just keeps on blooming. Mine is a tree/shrub, but link below is to climber. I realize that the mauve/lavender color will be hard to combine with other colors. Iceberg has a climber. Why no whites?
/////
Have you thought about Cecile Brunner? Great pictures here:
http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?ProductID=4866
/////
Please send pictures of completed project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angel Face climber

o

Altissimo is very striking but has bare 'legs' so underplanting a necessity.

Since you mention red being an option in your garden color plan Don Juan is a good red climber.

My favorite climber is Royal Sunset - a non-glare orange with amazing fragrance. Canes very stiff. Excellent disease resistantce. Not as eye popping as Joseph.

What are the other colors in your garden?

o

I love my Climbing Pinkie, and it blooms very vigorously and often. It grows fast, and could cover your fence all by its little self. Here's a photo of it last Spring at one year old:

Photobucket

It's easier to train than Joseph's Coat, since the canes are flexible instead of stiff.

Jeri Jennings in the Rose Forum always recommends Fourth of July for Southern California, since it can take the heat.

Have you seen hoovb's Laguna rose?
Link is below.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoovb's Laguna

o

If you like Altissimo, you would like Dortmund even better. A more attractive blossom, more of them, and more repeat blooming, and good winter hips. Al

o

Thanks everyone. I have also posted on the rose forum and got some very good suggestions, including not planting Altissimo which I agree with. I have a cecile brunner somewhere else and would never plant another one. It is too aggressive and blooms once a year but what a show those few weeks. What a beautiful garden renee and that climber looks gorgeous. I will check out all the suggestions. Also the house is a mediterranean style home and there isn't much landscaping in it yet but I am leaning towards olive trees and lavendars in the general areas where this wall stands. BTW the wall is part of the main house on a two storey home. The climber will have an 8 by 13 space to grow on SS wires against this wall. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here