Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I - or the frost - kill my lavender?

Posted by tinan (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 18:05

I have some lovely pinata lavenders (fern leaf) I love them but they grew so much this year I had to prune them 3 times as they were falling open and over a pathway. I don't know if I over-did it the last time, as I had to hack them back quite a lot, or if it was the sudden cold weather, or the deluge of rain last month, but they have all turned black and ugly :(

They are along the front path so quite prominent and looking awful right now. They were so beautiful all year!

Some parts are still alive and even have new flowers coming out.

Can I salvage them? Should I trim the black ugly parts off or leave alone for now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I - or the frost - kill my lavender?

Frost killed mine the first year I put it in. Yours might survive.
Leave all the dead it will protect the remaining live growth.
Also cutting it off could promote new growth which could get frosted and die also.

You might think about goodwin creek lavender. It tolerates the frost and cold better. The latest cold snap killed the flowers but the rest of both plants are fine. It did get down to 27 here.

o

I think your lavender will be fine. Wait until you see new growth before cutting back. Answering your post would be easier if you included your location or Sunset zone. Al

o

I thought my zone was in my profile but I guess not - Palo Alto, CA (SF peninsula) sunset zone 15-16.

We have never had frost especially as these gardens are close to the stucco house, facing southwest - the walls keep the gardens warmer at night. This is a first!

o

This is a frosty December, but not near as cold as December 1990. You lavender will be fine. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here