o
what should i plant in temecula

Posted by pk93 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 07 at 19:14

what kinds of plants can survive in temecula without constant care

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what should i plant in temecula

Thousands of plants, particularly Mediterranean-climate plants including California natives.

Do you have a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book?

Temecula is Zone 18 or 19.

Take a drive around some of the residential neighborhoods and when you see plants that you like, ask the homeowner what it is.

Joe

o

I live in Temecula. The Sunset zone changes with every new edition of the Western Garden Book. The latest edition has the entire area as Zone 18, whereas previous editions had hills above the valley floor as Zone 19. As you've probably noticed the last few nights, expect some frost during winter. Lowest temperature we've experienced in 15 years here was 23F (Jan 2007). We've even had snow flurries a couple of times! During summer, expect lots of sunny days in the 90s, occasional days over 100. So you want plants that can take sun and heat. Coastal things like fuchsias, begonias & frost-sensitive palms are difficult. We can do citrus in Redhawk. Look around the nurseries and garden sections at Lowe's & Home Depot. It'll give you a good idea of what grows here.

o

You are probably in 18 the same as me and I'm not anywhere near Temecula, but I do get quite a few days over 100.
Be careful what you see in the nurseries and especially at Lowes and Home Depot. They are in the business to sell.
They carry whatever people will buy.
Every year they have tons of Azalea, Camellia, Bougainvillea, Hibiscus, Clematis, Mandevilla, forget them. They will either fry or freeze. Sometimes the tempermental plants it is the dry heat not just the sun so even in shade they fry here.
I grow lots of salvias, lavenders and natives cuz I like the hummers, but they are somewhat high maintenance.
Lots of plants in the Western Garden Book will say zones 17 and 19 but skip 18...its annoying, but is too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
Perhaps you could go native and save on water also. There are plenty of those that provide flowers and color without putting in cacti.
You might want to pick up a copy of Pat Welsh's Southern California Gardening, and Growing California Native Plants by Margorie G. Schmidt if interested in natives.

Here is a feeding frenzy that went on for an hour recently, with 2 other feeders full also. I had to take the picture thru the kitchen window so a bit blurred.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

I like salvias and hummers, too. I'm "into" native plants, so I'm fuzzy on the suitability of some of the popular flowering plants sold at garden centers. I know that my neighbor, who originally came from Huntington Beach, has tried mightily to grow coastal stuff, and the ferns, cycads, fuchsias, etc., are concentrated near her shaded front porch, where they are somewhat protected from heat and frost. I think Sunset skips zone 18 in many of their plants because of the greater worry of freezing than in zone 19, which is upslope. But we can do citrus here in Redhawk, and the Morgan Hill development replaced extensive commercial orange groves, which should be an indicator of zone 19.

o

I have a huge cycad in front it gets sun part of the day unil 2pm in summer, the lower part doesn't get much sun at all and in the winter even less of course.
Whomever put in there sure didn't know it's potential.

Here it is again on June 29 this year on opposite side of wall looking down into it.

o

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 30, 07 at 17:04

Hi there. I have good luck with these, here in Temecula...

dusty miller
pittosporum
boxwood
heavenly bamboo
asparagus fern
foxtail fern
scabiosa 'blue butterfly'
mums
fortnight lilies
calla lilies
clivia (in shade and frost protected)
agapanthus
various daylilies
azaelias...in heavily ammended soil
camellia...ditto above
some lavenders
some pelargoniums
roses
star jasmine

Becky

o

I just moved from Temecula about 2yrs ago. We had great success with:

Large Bird of Paradise
small Bird of Paradise
Roses
Star Jasmine
Bouganvilla
Camelia
azaelia
Day Lilies
Agapanthus

Hope some of this helps

o

You're only thirty miles from one of the best nurseries in the south state- Buena Creek Nursery outside of Escondido, I'd stop there and ask the very knowledgeable owners what they would recommend. Just be sure you say where you are living, the climate at the nursery is milder than yours. They can guide you towards what's appropriate for you. Their display garden is worth a visit just to admire the sheer diversity of what is possible in Southern California.

o

Hi
Just signed in tonight.
We are moving from Media PA to Temecula over the summer.
I have a great Harry Lauder Walking stick that I sould love to bring with me.
Will it live there and what is the best way to get it there.
It is only about 4 ft tall but I can't stand to leave it behind. My garden of 30 years is what I'm going to miss most.
I hope there are some folks out in Temecula that can help me.
Judy

o

Mostly likely it will be to hot and dry for it.
Your moving company will not move it as it will die in the truck and they also know about CA restrictions on plant material.
Because CA relies on its agricultural business heavily you can't just import anything in due to pests and diseases. There is a short permitted list with specified conditions but I can't find the link tonight.
They may take it at the border inspection and you'll never see it again.
When you get here pick up a Western Garden Book and Pat Welshs guide to Southern Ca gardening. Very valuable resources. You will be able to garden all year long and after a year you won't miss anything.

o

I seriously doubt they will let you bring it in, as even houseplants have to have commercial potting mix only. Here is the link to a FAQ on the State website. Our major industry is agriculture, and introduced pests and diseases are hugely dangerous to our economy, especially with food plants like hazelnuts (ie Harry Lauder).

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Bringing plants to California

o

Below is the link I couldn't find last night.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant entry to CA

o

How come nobody mentioned grapes? GRAPES! Grow Grapes!! Olives. Same thing! Roses! Herbs of all kinds. Good luck to you!

o

• Posted by lali z9, Sunset z18, So C (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 15:03

I live in z18 too, but north of where you are by the 210 Fwy. We've had lots of success with:

olive
bougainvilla
citrus
jasmine
xylosima (sp?)
african irises
asparagus fern
ornamental garlic
hardy herbs (lavender, rosemary, thyme, etc)
roses
geraniums
photinias
ficus
succulents
palms
and lots more without much fuss

Sometimes I take a stroll / drive around the local parks and neighborhoods to see what's growing.

And I agree about discussing the Sunset Western Book.

GL!
Lali

o

Plant nothing this year. Looks like this will be the worst drought year any of us probably ever experienced.

o

Gosh what a wonderful group
I haven't had the time to get back on this thread till now and you've been so helpful.......esp about he CA regulations. Thanks also Calra for the link
My hubby just gave me the Sunset book so I've been pouring over it when not packing.
I'll keep checking this site as it is a great help
Judy in Philly but soon to be in Temecula ........I hope.

o

First and foremost I want to say that I really love this forum. Here you definitely find all the answers to questions regarding the garden. I moved to California two years ago and although I am living in LA I will also try some of the plants suggested in this thread. I would love to have citrus, olive, jasmine and roses in my garden.

o
Wanted: Perfume Tree Michalia alba

I am in love with this Gorgeous tree. I saw it in a nursery But It was so expensive. Any one Having this tree or nursery near Temecula? Thanks

o

What tree do you mean? This thread began in '07, hard to tell which you mean.

o

This is just a guess, A shot in the dark. Was it a Money Tree?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here