Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hostas in Calif?

Posted by plantas 8bCA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 22:00

Someone just mentioned that Hostas will not grow in Calif.
Has anyone tried growing them here in Calif?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hostas in Calif?

• Posted by Mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 23:47

Generally hostas don't do well in a warm climate. California has many zones and although I am unsuccessful at growing them here in zone 10, you will likely do quite well in your zone 8.

o

I have many Hosta both in the ground and in containers. I am sorry to hear they are not doing well, as I am quite pleased with them. Al

o

Too funny, Al!

I grow Hostas in the San Jose area that do just fine as well...as long as I remember to bait for snails and slugs, which seems to be the biggest problem with growing them.

wanda

o

plantas:

I have seen them tried in many parts of California. They are happy in Northern California where not only do they get somewhat more cold, they get much better soil quality and better water quality than So. California. The latter two qualities may be most important for good hosta growth.

As Mikey stated, there are many zones in California. You might live in a zone that is not only cold enough but also has good soil and water -- and a lack of snails (the ultimate hosta menance).

Joe

o

I have them in zone 9/14 (Sacramento). They return every year, bigger than before. Just don't allow them to receive afternoon sun--mine do and they end up pretty fried. I keep telling myself I should relocate them but I still haven't done it.

o

I have them in the Napa Valley. In shady protected areas. I plant in large tub sunken in the soil to keep the gophers at bay. They bloom beautifully.

Penny

o

After reading this thread, I think I might try Hostas in my front bed under the bay windows since I'm still not happy with the way it looks.

o

At this time of the year most hosta are completely gone. For this reason I don't plant them in a highly visable location. A better choice for the same type exposure is Daphne which looks good all year and is just coming into bloom now. Al

o

I was going to post a similar comment to Al's, that hosta are definitely perennials here. They turn into slimy puddles for winter so it might be better to plant them where you are already happy with a design and their purpose is to enhance rather than complete.

o

everybody tells me i can't grow hostas. what if i grow them in pots and keep them cool and out of the sun in the winter? what if i refrigerate them for a month in the winter?

Here is a link that might be useful: Endangered Species

o

Sunnibel17, we are in northern California, where the winter cold average lowest temperature is about 25 degrees. I would never put them in the freezer. In so. cal. many hostas will do OK in your climate, you need to do a little research to find which will do best. Your GardenWeb member setting will not allow emailing you direct. Al

o

They have never lived long enough to bother with in my location. Not due to the heat but due to the bad soil here in my area. We have boron in our soil that many plants do not like. I should say the amount of boron is what some plants are sensitive to

o

I see them in the nurseries here in So. CA and have successfully grown them in my shade garden which gets a couple hours of morning sun. They disappear in the winter and come back in the spring. While I like them, it's very, very difficult to compete with the slugs and possibly other insects who like them too. I gave up this past spring and yanked them. I'm not one bit sorry and will not miss them.

o

Wow this is an old thread! My hostas didn't last more than a couple winters...but then I became a rather stingy summer water-er too, and through trial and error I learned that there is pretty much no spot in my yard that is TRUE full shade, and in the shadiest part my camellia and sun azalea burn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here