Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large flowering shrub/full sun

Posted by Pugsgarden Sacramento 14 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 05 at 22:54

I am now looking for a large (around 6' tall and as wide), full, evergreen shrub, which flowers in the purple or red tones - just don't want blue, pink or white since I already have plenty of that and need some variety. The shrub will be in front of our house (west facing) and in full afternoon sun. Most of the nearby plants are drought tolerant. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large flowering shrub/full sun

Salvias come instantly to mind, although they may not be the best choice, but some that might work are:

Salvia clevelandii (and it's hybrids) a CA native
Salvia leucophylla (another native)
Salvia leucantha (but might freeze in your zone in winter)
Salvia corrugata
and possible S. 'Anthony Parker'.
Salvia gesneriflora

Prostanthera, an Australian native, comes in green and variegated form and blooms in winter.
there's also a Westringia that blooms in lavender/purple.
Australian Tea Tree (Leptospermum) has red cultivars (Red Ensign, Ruby Glow, etc.)

Ceanothus cultivars (CA native)

wanda

Here is a link that might be useful: prostanthera images

o

• Posted by launate z9 CA/Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 1, 05 at 23:37

How about an Island Bush Mallow, Lavatera assurgentiflora? Very drought tolerant and grows quickly to 6 ft+. Evergreen, has pink-purple flowers that attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Lavatera assurgentiflora

o

There is also Solanum rantonnetii, which is nearly everblooming for my mom up in Redding. It can get 8-12 ft. tall and 6-10 ft. wide, but it can be pruned to keep it smaller. A cousin has one growing in Winters on the west side of her house, and it's gorgeous.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Solanum Googled

o

Wanda left out Salvia elegans which Sunset says grows to two to three feet but mine is well over my head. It is in full bloom now and keeps my hummingbirds fed through the winter. Al

o

I have some Mexican Bird of Paradise right now - very drought tolerant - and a spectacular show-stopper (and car-stopper....cars keep slowing to see). The flowers are brilliant yellow, but they look beautiful behind my deep purple Princess flowers.

o

Very Large Shrubs --

Acca (Feijoa) sellowiana PINEAPPLE GUAVA
Caesalpinia pulcherrima BARBADOS PRIDE, RED BIRD-OF-PARADISE (semi-deciduous)
Callistemon citrinus LEMON BOTTLEBRUSH
Nerium oleander OLEANDER
Punica granatum Nochi Shibori ORNAMENTAL POMEGRANATE
Vitex agnus-castus CHASTE TREE

Large Shrubs --

Callistemon citrinus Violaceus VIOLET BOTTLEBRUSH
Callistemon viminalis Captain Cook
CAPTAIN COOK BOTTLEBRUSH
Viburnum tinus LAURUSTINUS

Medium Shrubs --

Cistus ladanifer CRIMSON-SPOT ROCKROSE
Cistus purpureus ORCHID ROCKROSE
Leucophyllum frutescens TEXAS RANGER
Nerium oleander 'Casablanca', Little Red OLEANDER
Salvia greggii 'Desert Blaze', 'Furman's Red' AUTUMN SAGE
Salvia 'Purple Majesty' PM SAGE
Teucrium fruticans BUSH GERMANDER
Viburnum tinus Spring Bouquet LAURUSTINUS

Joe

o

Chaste tree is not evergreen in Sacramento but is beautiful nonetheless. I think you would be very happy with cleveland sage or ceanothus (warning: both attract lots of bees but that's a good thing in my book)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here