Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugsgarden

Large flowering shrub/full sun

pugsgarden
18 years ago

I am now looking for a large (around 6' tall and as wide), full, evergreen shrub, which flowers in the purple or red tones - just don't want blue, pink or white since I already have plenty of that and need some variety. The shrub will be in front of our house (west facing) and in full afternoon sun. Most of the nearby plants are drought tolerant. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• wanda
    18 years ago

Salvias come instantly to mind, although they may not be the best choice, but some that might work are:

Salvia clevelandii (and it's hybrids) a CA native
    Salvia leucophylla (another native)
    Salvia leucantha (but might freeze in your zone in winter)
    Salvia corrugata
    and possible S. 'Anthony Parker'.
    Salvia gesneriflora

Prostanthera, an Australian native, comes in green and variegated form and blooms in winter.
    there's also a Westringia that blooms in lavender/purple.
    Australian Tea Tree (Leptospermum) has red cultivars (Red Ensign, Ruby Glow, etc.)

Ceanothus cultivars (CA native)

wanda

Here is a link that might be useful: prostanthera images

• launate
    18 years ago

How about an Island Bush Mallow, Lavatera assurgentiflora? Very drought tolerant and grows quickly to 6 ft+. Evergreen, has pink-purple flowers that attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
    San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Lavatera assurgentiflora

• youreit
    18 years ago

There is also Solanum rantonnetii, which is nearly everblooming for my mom up in Redding. It can get 8-12 ft. tall and 6-10 ft. wide, but it can be pruned to keep it smaller. A cousin has one growing in Winters on the west side of her house, and it's gorgeous.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Solanum Googled

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Wanda left out Salvia elegans which Sunset says grows to two to three feet but mine is well over my head. It is in full bloom now and keeps my hummingbirds fed through the winter. Al

• Swedeinla
    18 years ago

I have some Mexican Bird of Paradise right now - very drought tolerant - and a spectacular show-stopper (and car-stopper....cars keep slowing to see). The flowers are brilliant yellow, but they look beautiful behind my deep purple Princess flowers.

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

Very Large Shrubs --

Acca (Feijoa) sellowiana PINEAPPLE GUAVA
    Caesalpinia pulcherrima BARBADOS PRIDE, RED BIRD-OF-PARADISE (semi-deciduous)
    Callistemon citrinus LEMON BOTTLEBRUSH
    Nerium oleander OLEANDER
    Punica granatum ÂNochi Shibori ORNAMENTAL POMEGRANATE
    Vitex agnus-castus CHASTE TREE

Large Shrubs --

Callistemon citrinus ÂViolaceus VIOLET BOTTLEBRUSH
    Callistemon viminalis ÂCaptain CookÂ
    CAPTAIN COOK BOTTLEBRUSH
    Viburnum tinus LAURUSTINUS

Medium Shrubs --

Cistus ladanifer CRIMSON-SPOT ROCKROSE
    Cistus purpureus ORCHID ROCKROSE
    Leucophyllum frutescens TEXAS RANGER
    Nerium oleander 'Casablanca', ÂLittle Red OLEANDER
    Salvia greggii 'Desert Blaze', 'Furman's Red' AUTUMN SAGE
    Salvia 'Purple Majesty' PM SAGE
    Teucrium fruticans BUSH GERMANDER
    Viburnum tinus ÂSpring Bouquet LAURUSTINUS

Joe

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

Chaste tree is not evergreen in Sacramento but is beautiful nonetheless. I think you would be very happy with cleveland sage or ceanothus (warning: both attract lots of bees but that's a good thing in my book)