Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollygoat

Hedge Advice Needed!

JollyGoat
10 years ago

Hello!

My husband & I live in Los Angeles CA and are looking to plant a privacy hedge. We live on a corner and would like to make our front yard, which has zero privacy at the moment, into a secure yard that our kids could eventually play in.
Because we live on a corner & for various other reasons we'd like this hedge to be as thin as possible (since the yard itself is already pretty small), but as dense as possible (since we live in a bit of a busy area, walkers, bikers, people who are homeless pooping on our lawn, etc) and basically sit in for a fence. (There are regulations concerning how tall a fence can be in the front yard that don't apply to shrubs)
I'm looking for something evergreen so it would give privacy year round.
Ideally something with roots not too invasive since we'd be planting it next to the sidewalk.
It would also be located in a spot on the property that doesn't get a ton of sun in the winter time.

Any thoughts? I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by the possibilities and this is my first time owning a home with a garden so I'm a bit of a novice.
Here are a few things I've stumbled across during my research but I'm not sure which, if any, would be the best option:

Pacific Wax Myrtle
Ceanothus 'Ray Hartman'
Carolina Cherry Laurel
Green Tower Boxwood
Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Silver Sheen'

Any other ideas?

Also just to recap since I know I had a lot of specifications above:

fast grower
thin as possible
dense as possible
evergreen
non-invasive roots
mostly morning sun & then shade in the winter, sunny in the summer
drought tolerant or even california native would be nice, if possible!
kid friendly
no bamboo please! I think it's beautiful but I don't think I could deal with it if it got out of hand!

Looking forward to your advice!

Thank you so much! :)

Comments (8)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A corner neighbor has a side hedge of Hopseed Bush (Dodonaea viscosa) right next to the street. It's quite handsome and she has it pruned to about 8 feet tall and about 2 feet wide. (It gets pruned about every 6 months) Comes in green as well as purple. Hers is mostly green with a purple every 4th or 5th one. Dense --- I'd need to measure how far apart they're planted.

As much as I love Ceanothus 'Ray Hartman' I doubt its use as a narrow hedge. Too wide. Have you seen it sheared?

• emmarene9
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like Myrsine and Myrtus. Of the ones you listed I like the Wax Myrtle although I have never owned one. Good luck.

• SK
    6 years ago

Hi hoovb zone 9 sunset 23, I like that u offer so much insight & input - thank u!

U responded to a few of my "searching for the pool hedge" & other questions in the past week. I remember u suggested it for me too.

Can u plz share info re the litter amount of Privet, Ligustrum Japonicum - berries? leaf dropping? I am considering it since it's so prevalent, but concerned that it attracts many bees & creates a lot of litter (will clog the filtration pool pump, etc.). TIA for ur inout

• Kerry in Sunset zone 9b
    6 years ago

My back neighbors have Privets. Tons of winter/early spring leaf litter falls in my yard, along with the seeds from the little black berries they produce. I have to pull tons of little privets from my yard and you have to get them early or they become a permanent fixture. Not sure if this is the same variety that was suggested above but the one my neighbor has gets tiny white flowers all over it and they do attract bees.

If you are a bird person, there is an upside. They attract all kinds of cool birds (Robins and Cedar Waxwings) that eat the berries. I posted a picture in another thread of the cedar waxwings that come in large groups of about 50 (Robins do the same thing) and hang out in the tree eating the berries. It is very cool to watch them, so I don't mind spending the time to weed out the privets that germinate in my yard.

Back to the post at hand, look into Mountain Mahogany. This is a nice screen shrub that grows tall and not necessarily wide. It is a CA native, so once established it won't require as much water. It is recommended as a screen shrub in CA Native Plants For The Garden. You might want to check it out and see if it will do OK in your area.

Good Luck!

• SK
    6 years ago
    I wonder how often would I need to prune the Ligustrum Japonica to prevent the little white flowers and the berries?
  • JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    6 years ago

Rhaphiolepis indica, Indian Hawthorne, might be a good choice too.

• Kerry in Sunset zone 9b
    6 years ago

SK, I believe Privets flower in the Spring. They get pollinated by the bees (or perhaps they are self pollinated, I don't really know) and berries are produced in the late fall/early winter. I am thinking you would need to prune them in the Spring. You will see the flower buds developing and that will indicate when you should shear them since you don't want bees.