Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellias losing leaves - why?

Posted by amymegans Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 16:53

Hoping someone might be able to tell me what is causing my camellias to lose their leaves. I have a row of 16 camellias (Camellia sasanqua Kanjiro & Apple Blossom). Last year one on the end started losing its leaves but yet was still showing new growth on top (even bloomed). Now this year the same thing is happening to almost all of the remaining camellias. I have given them blood meal as recommended by a local nursery, but it doesn't seem to be helping. We fertilize them every spring. Could this be sudden oak disease? I have included some pictures. Thanks in advance for any help!

Amy

Image link: Camellias losing leaves - why? (44 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellias losing leaves - why?

This could be caused by salt burn (too much fertilizer salts) or camellia dieback, a watering problem. If the symptoms happen mostly on the bottom part of the plant, the shrub is getting too much water. If the problem occurs mostly on the top then the plant is getting too little water.

o

Thank you. The issue is mainly on the bottom of the plants, but I have seen a fair bit of brown leaves on the tops as well. Since I posted this message though, they have begun to grow like crazy. And I'm not seeing as many brown leaves, so maybe the blood meal helped. We do probably water them more than needed due to the fact that they share a sprinkler line with some plants that need more water. I'll try to fix that. Thanks again for the feedback!

Amy

o

Any news on the shrub?

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 15:27

Testing by a lab is needed to identify sudden oak death. Try Oregon Cooperative Extension for assistance. They can probably tell you what you do have, anyway, whether it is sudden oak death or not.

Note that the plant sold as C. sasanqua 'Apple Blossom' in garden centers here (that get it from large wholesale nurseries in California) is actually C. s. 'Fukuzutsumi'.

Several other camellias are called 'Apple Blossom' as well.

o
'Kanjiro'

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 15:35

Is actually considered to belong to C. hiemalis botanically. "Sasanqua" is somewhat loosely used by nurseries and gardeners to include cultivars belonging to C. hiemalis, C. sasanqua and C. x vernalis. The wild C. sasanqua typically produces white flowers. Often cultivars with colored flowers really belong to one of the other two species.

o

My Camelia 10yrs old suddenly developed yellow spots on leaves. When turn the leves I see a white powdery dense mold.
Do not know how this all the sudden happened.
How can I save my bush?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here