Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

Yuletide Camelia not blooming yet

drcindy
18 years ago

I was able to find one of these just before Thanksgiving and placed it in a container- it was a 3 gallon size. Had/has some nice buds on it but hasn't bloomed yet. Is this normal? We had a very cold spell for 2 weeks right after Thanksgiving, and now it's in the normal 50 degree range. I haven't watered it much either as I didn't want it to get waterlogged. It was just a bit disappointing, as I had hoped it would bloom by Christmas.

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

If the foliage and habit right?

• drcindy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bboy,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your question...

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

i think he may be questioning whether you have the "right foliage and habit" for a 'yuleitde' vs. some other cultivar.
    i don't have this one but i think i may try to find it after seeing these photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: monrovia site - 'yuletide'

• drcindy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. This is only the second Camelia I have owned- the other one is also a Sasanqua, a single pink blooming type, but I don't know the name. I'm not sure if the yuletide has the right foliage and habit because it's young, but the leaves look similar to the ones in the picture, and it's fairly upright. Not very bushy though.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Sounds like 'Yuletide'. Maybe the buds are actually leaf buds. Technical note: 'Yuletide' belongs to Camellia x vernalis, rather than C. sasanqua. There is a habit in nurseries of bunching together various autumn-winter camellias under C. sasanqua.

• drcindy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bboy,

the buds I see are definitely flower buds- I can see the red color. Thanks for letting me know it's not a sasanqua though! I first learned of Yuletide in my local paper in the garden section, and that's how it was labeled.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

If you're seeing red without pulling the buds apart then they are opening, you will soon have flowers.

• okintos
    18 years ago

Hello.

It is possible that it is a delay in the flowering, provoked by the cold climate.

In the Camellias "Yuletide", which live in zone 9 and zone 10, the flowering goes forward.

My "Yuletide" bloomed from October, until December. In Christmas, it opened his last flowers.

Pardon for my evil English.
    Regards.
    {{gwi:503324}}

{{gwi:503325}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellias in A Toxa

• miranda43
    17 years ago

Hello, I was looking for info about camelia blooming and came across your discussion. I have a camelia in my terrace in a large pot. I bought this plant last May and when I got it, it had a few flowers on (didn't look like the photo though, they didn' have the yellow center). All summer long it didn't flower at all and now I can see some buds trying to open but they are still buds and it's been about 2 or 3 weeks since I noticed them. I was wondering if they finally bloom or I'm doing something wrong. I live in Greece in a zone 9 area and the weather is unusually mild this winter.

• okintos
    17 years ago

I do not believe that you are taking care badly of your camellia. The Camellias have different epochs of flowering. In the Hemisphere North, they bloom from September to June. The different species(kinds) and the thousands of varieties of Camellia, they bloom during Autumn, Winter and Spring.
    {{gwi:503326}}

For example, you can see some of the flowers that they bloom in spring. They are flowers of the Exhibition XL International of the Camellia that is celebrated in Galicia (Spain). It is celebrated at the beginning of spring (February or March).

YULETIDE, blooms in November and December.

Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Camellia Show Galicia

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions