Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joraines_gw

Les Marbury

joraines
11 years ago

Purchased a beautiful Les Marbury Camellia Japonica yesterday at Twin Bridges Nursery in Taylors, SC. Hoping to find the right spot for it in our creekside shade garden. And I hope it stays true to its variegated form. I am reading here that some revert to their solid-colored source plant. The second photo is of the camellia with a Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) and our new Old Man of the Oak glazed cement bird bath.

{{gwi:503560}}

{{gwi:503562}}

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Very pretty and I like your bird bath too! The bloom reminds me of an Eleanor McCown Camellia that I used to have. The dogs killed it chasing squirrels though. While it lasted, it tended to have sports (on selected branches) that were all pink, all white or some unusual mix.

• bethpierce77
    10 years ago

Does anyone know the name of this camellia?

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Sorry I don't but it might be a japonica or a hybrid. Very pretty though. Most of the striped ones that I see are white with stripes but this one seems to be a faint pink with stripes. Do you have a picture of the bush in bloom too? Must be quite a sight!

Below is a link to the American Camellia Society's Encyclopedia with online camellia pictures. You can also look at pictures in camellia books at a library if no one else chimes in.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS Encyclopedia Of Camellias

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

joraines, your 'Les Marbury' is beautiful. Yes, stripy camellias may sometimes revert, but often only one branch will be a solid color. And I've heard of camellias that are more variegated one year, then less variegated the next. When we fall for the variegations, we also have to put up with their variations.

bethpierce77, that's a beautiful camellia, and certainly deserves to be famous, but I don't know the name. What do you know about the plant? Where is it, how old is it, do all the blooms look pretty much like that, or is that an unusual flower for that plant?

Even though it is very lovely, it may not be a named cultivar.

The most similar variety I can think of is 'Roma Risorta', but it's much bolder (less shaded) with its stripes than your bloom, I think.

If you have more info, that may help someone on this list with an ID if it is a named variety.

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

bethpierce77, I still don't know the name of your flower, but here's a photo of a camellia that you might like- I first made her acquaintance yesterday, and she is Camellia japonica 'Fran Boudolf'. You can't tell from the photo, but it is a miniature bloom. Perhaps the other flower is also?

• Melissa Banks
    7 years ago

@bethpierce77 I know I'm way late to the game on this one, but did you ever find out what type of camellia that is? I've been looking everywhere myself and the closest I've come up with are these guys: Guest Star camellia, nuccio's pearl, Sawada's Dream, Stephens Garden, Strawberry Limeade, Bonomiana, and Grace Albritton. I've also noticed that some are described as "busted" (seriously?) and as "spiraled"? I'm pretty new to the game on gardening so I don't really know if those forms are according to plant type or if they're simply anomalies that pop up in an otherwise normal camellia type? But I was hoping you figured it out, I absolutely love it! And Waaaaay to go @vmr423 for finding the Fran B., I think that's closer than what i've found! What a great share!

Sponsored
More Discussions