Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Les Marbury

Posted by joraines 7 Upstate SC (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:44

Purchased a beautiful Les Marbury Camellia Japonica yesterday at Twin Bridges Nursery in Taylors, SC. Hoping to find the right spot for it in our creekside shade garden. And I hope it stays true to its variegated form. I am reading here that some revert to their solid-colored source plant. The second photo is of the camellia with a Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) and our new Old Man of the Oak glazed cement bird bath.

Les Marbury Camellia Blossom

Camellia, Cast Iron Plant and Old Man

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Les Marbury

Very pretty and I like your bird bath too! The bloom reminds me of an Eleanor McCown Camellia that I used to have. The dogs killed it chasing squirrels though. While it lasted, it tended to have sports (on selected branches) that were all pink, all white or some unusual mix.

o

Does anyone know the name of this camellia?

o

Sorry I don't but it might be a japonica or a hybrid. Very pretty though. Most of the striped ones that I see are white with stripes but this one seems to be a faint pink with stripes. Do you have a picture of the bush in bloom too? Must be quite a sight!

Below is a link to the American Camellia Society's Encyclopedia with online camellia pictures. You can also look at pictures in camellia books at a library if no one else chimes in.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS Encyclopedia Of Camellias

o

joraines, your 'Les Marbury' is beautiful. Yes, stripy camellias may sometimes revert, but often only one branch will be a solid color. And I've heard of camellias that are more variegated one year, then less variegated the next. When we fall for the variegations, we also have to put up with their variations.

bethpierce77, that's a beautiful camellia, and certainly deserves to be famous, but I don't know the name. What do you know about the plant? Where is it, how old is it, do all the blooms look pretty much like that, or is that an unusual flower for that plant?

Even though it is very lovely, it may not be a named cultivar.

The most similar variety I can think of is 'Roma Risorta', but it's much bolder (less shaded) with its stripes than your bloom, I think.

If you have more info, that may help someone on this list with an ID if it is a named variety.

o

bethpierce77, I still don't know the name of your flower, but here's a photo of a camellia that you might like- I first made her acquaintance yesterday, and she is Camellia japonica 'Fran Boudolf'. You can't tell from the photo, but it is a miniature bloom. Perhaps the other flower is also?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here