Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Buds to flowers, why so long?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

I have 4 of these plants, and they have all been in big round buds for over two weeks now.

They are hanging on and look good, but I was wondering if it is natural for them to take what seems like forever to open?

Thankyou

Mike:-)

Comments (9)

• yellowthumb
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,

Yes, Camellia takes very long to open their buds. The key is to make sure that they don't drop their buds. You have to give them enough chill time, otherwise, they either drop their buds, or the buds will not open entirely. They like cool and humid this time of the year. In Feb or early Mar, increase the temperature and give them more sun, they will reward you with big flowers.

• User
    14 years ago

Mike,
    WHat kind of camellias did you buy?
    There are hundreds of varieties and 2 different major kinds of camellias.
    SOme bloom early, in the late fall.
    SOme bloom during the winter and still others bloom "late" for camellias in April
    They set their buds 5-6 months before they bloom.
    That is why in cold regions their blooms may fall off due to cold winds.
    If you have them out of the sever cold and winds, they will bloom when they are suppose to.
    Relax, and enjoy it when it happens.
    They bloom over a realitively long period of time also.
    When they bloom, it's all worth it.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You wouldn't believe it! They are starting to open..

I have been keeping the room down to the low 60's and very humid...They probably needed an adjustment period from the nursery. I mimicked the conditions there as much as possible. They sit under a skylight and seem happy!

I just don't let them dry out completely either. I think they like the soil moist, right?

I will take pics and get names for you, as soon as today or tommorrow...Thankyou very much!

Mike

• subtropix
    14 years ago

Moist, and ACID soil. DO NOT let them dry out indoors (I lost a nice one like that once years ago).--Before I realized they were perfectly hardy outdoor plants here. Mine were starting to bloom outside in early December before the arctic fronts passed through (en route to the Carribean as it turned out). DO NOT treat them as tropicals or they will die. They're much tougher than you think. Outdoors, they hold on to their blossoms all winter long. Forget when then bloomed last year (March or April I believe). I love them! Unfortunately, so do deer so I have to watch where I plant them. Blooms will last longest if kept COOL--which is why I don't mind if it's chilly when they're in bloom. Good luck!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave,

when you say do not teat them like tropicals, do you mean not to let them dry out between waterings and keep in a cool enviroment?

Thanks alot man!!:-)

• subtropix
    14 years ago

Never let them dry out and keep them cool in winter (50-60's and humid is fine but 70's or higher and dry is not--they're subtropicals so they expect seasonal variation). Outside, they should be good to zone 7a (even 6b if given winter shade from the sun). They can handle humid heat in summer especially given some protection from the hottest sun. They had a bunch of them in HD last spring and I bought up a bunch of them to create a hedge.--If yours are containerized and indoor, you should move them outside for the growing season (safe times will vary), and feed with a high ACID fertilizer at recommended rates and levels. Good luck!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more thing..living in my area as it were, can they be kept in full south facing sun in winter, and full in summer, like I would grow a citrus?

Or are they haters of full afternoon sun no matter what?

When can be start to enjoy warmer temps again too, after the flowering stage?

Their leaves seem to be very very thick, as if they would burn if the sun shine upon them..One in fact has some variegation..I will take pics this evening to show you.
    Right now they seem to love being under the skylight for now that is.. That area is cool, and yet gets sun from about 2 in the afternoon till it sets..

Thanks a bunch

• subtropix
    14 years ago

I have mine planted (outside) where they get some protection from the strongest sun. A row of them is planted near some deciduous Viburnum and gets some protection from an otherwise hot western exposure and others are planted in the dappled shade of a Japanese maple. In a southern exposure (grown inside) they would benefit from shear curtain. They are not nearly as tolerate of hot sun as citrus. Grown outdoors, they especially benefit from some degree of protection from the sun (ESPECIALLY IN WINTER) when cold temps plus strong sun equals burning foliage on broadleaved evergreens.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank alot Dave....

Are they one of the most unique plants to own? Each bud you get is a miracle!

Come back in a couple of days and I will show pics of the area they are sitting in and what they look like..

Mike

More Discussions