Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia buds stop blooming

Posted by Danielgoh168 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 11:16

10days ago i bought 2 pots of camellia which are red n pink fulled with buds and some blooming 20%, since then till now the buds stop blooming and turn brown,those which are 20% blooming stop as well....and i lightly touched the flowers,they droped off. Im not sure what was wrong with it...BUT these few days i saw some new leafs growing out and geting bigger,but still those bud stop growing or blooming....i do water everyday...im wondering because of the weather from the place that i bought? Now at my home where its a hot tropical weather which sunny the whole day which the day time can go to 34c ,but i put the pots to the corner where it can only get half day light rather than full day light which i think its too hot for it.so could anyone tell me whats wrong with those unblooming buds and turning brown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia buds stop blooming

Camellia bud drop occurs when the plant is either getting too much or too little water or the temperatures are changing up/down a lot. Other times when the temps change and stay cold, they can just stop blooming and restart a month or more later. Flower buds in general are more sensitive to temperature and moisture issues than leaves so you could see a plant stop blooming and still leafing out new leaf growth. Try watering when the potting mix starts frying out as opposed to just daily. You can also place the pots where the air/wind does not dry them out quickly. As for the temperatures, you can try to monitor the temperatures to see how much they fluctuate and find a location where they do not swing too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here