Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Insight on comparative growth habits

bobbi_p
14 years ago

Hello,

I live on the far northwest side of Houston, Texas, which is technically considered zone 9 now, but given my microclimate, feel I'm just barely within a zone 9!

I'm looking to purchase a specimen camellia for winter color approx. 10 feet away from our pool north of an arbor that should provide considerably shade. It will be planted just in front of what I hope will become a solid citrus hedge between the 2 right hand posts in this photo.

{{gwi:503816}}

I'd like something in the darker pink color palette, and would love to try something with some fragrance. Through reading this forum, I'm considering "Fragrant Pink," "Kramer's Supreme," "Sweet Emily Kate," or "Scentsation."

Because I never know how long we will be living in this house, I would like to purchase a larger size shrub for instant presence. The local camellia society discouraged me, saying the transplant shock for a larger shrub is often worse than waiting the extra years for a small 1-2 year plant to establish.

So, for those of you with experience, of the varieties listed above, which will give me the densest, upright growth?

Also, what are your feelings on spending (nearly $200) on a large 10-15 gallon size specimen plant for instant impact?

Should I forget fragrance in lieu of a different dark pink camellia that grows faster/denser?

If other varieties are suggested, I'd prefer not to go with a single. All other flower forms are fine.

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Your location seems to have a lot of sun right now. In the middle of the hot summer, japonicas will need protection from the hot afternoon sun. Sasanquas can withstand some sun but I would still protect them here in Texas.

How long do the fruit trees that you plan on buying last, bobbi_p? If they do not last long, choose something else to provide shade because camellias can easily outlast them if properly cared for. I would be concerned if told that 20 years from now, the fruit trees would start to decline or die thereby exposing the camellia to more sun than it can tolerate. Luckily, some citrus trees can last for a long time but ask when buying just to check. They just cannot live for hundreds of years like a camellia.

Investigate carefully your selection/variety. Confirm that the one that you desire has the right color, upright growth and the proper blooming time by going to websites, asking in here, reviewing camellia books or checking the plant label. Careful with color descriptions, especially when talking to someone by phone or email. What is dark to you may not be dark enough to someone else and viceversa. Confirm that you can smell the fragrance too... if you can. Camellias are just starting to have some fragrance but I would never compare their fragrance to that of roses so, for a start, try to smell the scent because some people just cannot detect the light scent of flowers at times. If you need a scent that drifts with the wind, you need a different plant because with camellias, you usually have to either be very nearby or smell close up to detect scent. Choose a cloudy morning to test this, when the fragrance oils are still quite present.

If you can afford the cost and sunlight is not going to be an issue, I say go for it. Home Depot used to have a small subsidiary nearby (that has since closed) and which used to carry -I am guessing here- 6-8' camellias. I do not recall the prices but would not be surprised if it was in the vecinity of 200. So be prepared to pay. If possible, I would try to contact a nursery and/or a wholesaler for even taller specimens. I would not try to purchase an already planted camellia from someone who has one for the reasons stated by the camellia society.

As far as which variety, your choices sound good but I think you will be limited by the need for an instant tall specimen whose color and blooming time match your specs. It may just be easier to ask what is available commercially out there and choosing from that.... rather than asking all over the world for a precise 10' plant. So keep your options open. Whichever tall ones they have in stock, just make sure it has upright growth habit that blooms during the time frame that you want and color that you like. Inquiring with several landscaping companies may also be a good idea since it may be best if they plant it and if the offer some kind of guarantee.

Enjoy shopping and post pictures when you get one bobbi_p,
    Luis

• theoriginaldawgone
    14 years ago

Purchase a 3 gallon Frank Houser-- you wont regret it

• Donna
    14 years ago

I have Kramer's Supreme and it is blood red. There is no way it would ever be mistaken for pink.

I would recommend Donation highly. I have had mine about four years and it has grown from a rooted cutting to a nice three foot by three foot shrub in that time. It blooms very heavily and long with a double deep rose pink bloom. The foliage is beautiful too. If you can find a bigger plant, as luis said, go for it. Camellias are definitely slow growers.

Another nice pink one is E.G. Waterhouse. You can find it at Nuccio's nursery.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions