Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adolph Audusson

Posted by rjlinva 7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 15:39

I am very new to camellias. I added this variety to my collection, and it has one flower opening now. I think the plant came from a nursery a bit further south so it's a bit ahead of schedule. I am really loving the look of this camellia, and I've read that it's a dependable camellia.

Can you recommend some other varieties that are similar to Adolphe Audusson.

Thanks.

Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adolph Audusson

You could touch base with Virginia Camellia Society for information tailored to your area. Usually, a camellia japonica/ssasanqua that is hardy to your zone should do well where you live. Most camellia reticulatas may do better in warmer locales. Choose based on the zone, color that you want, the type of shrub growth habit that you want, approximate blooming time, type of flower form, etc.

In my area, for example, just about any japonica/sasanqua will grow and do well. But those that bloom during December thru February may be affected by our temperature ups and downs. The temperature changes can affect the plants in different ways. It would be rare that the plant would be killed or that the leaves would be harmed. Most likely, the flowers and/or buds would be the ones affected. For example, very low temperatures could kill some open blooms or some flower buds; they could cause the buds to drop if the temps change wildly (70s to 40s and back up); most common for me, the blooming time is delayed until warmer temps return. As a result, some japonicas that normally would bloom Dec-Feb may delay bloomage until Feb-Apr. Thus, I select some early blooming sasanquas while still planting some japonicas that bloom in the mid-season (Dec-Feb) just because I like their flowers and do not mind blooming time delays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Camellia Society Website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here