Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do yor blooms take forever to open?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I just can not understand why my blooms, those round balls take forever to open?

They were developing back in September when the weather got colder. Slowly getting bigger but they are only about a half inch bigger. Is this normal, as if teh growth is has almost stopped or slowed down drmaticaly.

Is it possibly because I have them growing in much cooler conditions?

Please help. What can I do?

Mike

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

In what zone do you live and what varieties of camellia are we talking about, Mike? They may be doing fine but it depends. Camellia blooms develop around July and will open depending on the camellia variety. It sounds like yours are getting close to opening. I usually call it "close" when they get big and the petal colors are more apparent or obvious.

Sasanquas will open the flower buds earliest, somewhere between early Fall and early Winter, while Japonicas can start sometime in Fall but most bloom in winter or early Spring.

This is similar to what happens with azaleas, rhododendrons and hydrangeas. They all produce flower buds near the end of the summer but the flower buds do not open for months.

If your variety normally blooms at this time or later then I would not worry. But weather can affect the specific timing by weeks or more. I have a japonica that started opening buds just before things turned cold. Then it paused (no blooms) for more than a month and started blooming when the temperatures warmed up.

Some japonicas have been bred to bloom late so they will survive in cold zones like Zone 6. If yours is one of those, it may be a while before it blooms.

• User
    13 years ago

Mike,
    Japonicas usually bloom in spring.(generally)
    Sasanquas (which are the cooler weather ones) usually bloom in fall.
    Then there are literally hundreds of cultivars that all have their own specific times for everything.
    If they are young trees, you can't necessarily count on them to bloom when you bought them from a nursery and they were in bloom.
    The nurseries make them bloom so you will buy them.
    Generally, all camellias get their buds the summer before they are suppose to bloom for the next blooming season.
    Real cold weather can totally ruin a camellia bud and keep it from blooming.
    Have you ever been to a camellia show?
    You should go. They are usually held in the early spring and all the beautiful flowers from all the different camellias are labeled.
    Show blooms are kept in greenhouses under ideal conditions, well most of them.
    If you bought a cold hardy camellia, I'll bet it blooms for you in March or April.
    Please post a pic of the bloom when it does bloom, I would love to see it.
    I absolutley love camellias, they are worth the wait.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I believe that Mike has japonicas, if I recall. It's natural for them to develop their flowers over a very long period of time, practically throughout an entire winter. The buds, even when swollen and showing color, are very cold hardy (relatively speaking).

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just what I needed to hear Rhizzo, Butterflu4u and Luis!

I really appreciate your help and reasuring me that is is just natural for what I have.
    Rhizzo is right, that is exactly the kind I have since it says so on the tag.

So good to see you and help me. I consider it a priviledge and always take something away from you

Many Thanks!

I am posting a picture tomorrow since I am feeling a bit better..:-)

Mike

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions