Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finch_gw

Best Varieties for Full Shade

finch
18 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions as to the best varieties for full shade? I have an area that is between a single story house and a row of high privets.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Any Camellia japonica.

• finch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, but I am wondering if some cultivars perform better than others at lower light levels, especially flowering. Some are known for being able to take more sun exposure, but I am looking for those that do well with less than average light than is required by the average Camillia.

• jared_sc
    18 years ago

I think it is generally held that the white cultivars tend to like more shade than the colored varieties; however, there seems to be a consensus among camellia authorities that no camellia performs at its best in dense shade. Dappled shade, or in many cases, full sun, is preferable to dense shade. Stirling Macoboy's _The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Camellias_ (Portland, OR: Timber Press, 1998) would be a good source to consult for information on shade-tolerant varieties. Some white varieties that do well for me in Zone 7b are 'Imura,' 'Snow Chan,' 'White Empress,' 'Leucantha,' 'Victory White', and 'Coronation.'
    'Dawn,' which I think is considered a _Camellia vernalis_ is anoter good white, as is _Camellia sasanqua_ 'Setsugekka.' However, I don't think any of them want pure shade.

• huttnem
    18 years ago

I asked this question last year. I had called Nuccio's and they suggested Buttermint, Nuccio's Pearl, Nuccio's Gem and Pearl Maxwell I think. Forrest Al suggested White Doves which blooms well for him in the shade. Also, yamagamisnursery.com has a list of 'Best Camellias for Shade.'

• finch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks - the yamagamisnursery.com Web site is a great suggestion, and relevant to my area and climate.

• finch
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's a nice story - thank you for sharing it. I have been looking around during the blooming season here, and have noticed that too much sun produces better results, even when the top foliage shows sun damage. My experiences with African Violets is the same, but, of course, they are easier to move around!

• okintos
    18 years ago

Hi, Patricia?

Your beautiful family history has thrilled me because I remembered my parents. I ask for permission him to expose it in some moment, in our Camellia's Forum of the AEC and in the Forum of Gardening in Spain.

For your, one of my favourite Camellias. (All the white Camellias are good for places without the direct Sun).
    {{gwi:503880}}

C. j. ALBA PLENA.My favourite Camellia, for your mother, for the patients of Alzheimer, for all the patients. ( Very good for places without the direct Sun).

{{gwi:503881}}

Pardon for my evil English.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez OKintos

Here is a link that might be useful: Galicia Camellia Show's 2006

• kittymoonbeam
    17 years ago

I am having luck with Madonna and Grand Prix. Try them in pots and if you never get any flowers, you can move them easily somewhere else and not worry about transplant woes. Some will get very rangy in too much shade as well.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions