Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most informal Fall Bloomers?

Posted by oath5 z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 06 at 15:53

Hi, I'm really interested in purchasing a camellia, but I'm looking for one that is hardy enough for my climate, The selection at Camellia Forest Nursury's website is so vast... but I'm looking for one that isn't like one dense column; are there any that have a more informal yet moderately fast growing and tall, and what colors would you reccomend for near our house, which is a light grey-blue.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most informal Fall Bloomers?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 4:38

Most Camellia sasanqua would fit the bill. A pink one would probably go with your house color.

o

Oh that would be great, our temps here are very variable, should I worry about them, we're in Baltimore County....I only know that the temperature never truly dips down under 0 degrees, we may get a week or two in single digits but that's about it....should I still worry?

o

Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 18:17

Are you seeing others growing in the area already? What do garden centers have? Camellia sasanqua cultivars are a staple here.

o
RE: Most Hardy Fall Bloomers?

Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 18:30

Probably one of these would do. Have a look and see if you like any of the pink ones in particular. Photos provided should enable you to visualize the flowers against your wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: The U.S. National Arboretum presents a unique group of cold hardy, fall blooming camellias hybridized specifically for the landscape

o

I was thinking those would work the best, I think I'm going to order "Frost Princess" it's what we're looking for the most I guess.

o

Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 22:24

This page has a picture (click to enlarge). How hardy is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Camelias [sic]

o

It goes to negative five degrees bellow zero, I think if we put it close to the house it should do fine, thanks for your help! I really like that color, it's a lot different than the others.

o

Hi oath5 -

I live in Annapolis.

C. sasanqua 'Jean May' does well for me, a medium shell pink with semi-double flowers, branching is spreading. I also have C. sasanqua 'Setsugekka'(single, white, frilly, very fragrant) and 'Kanjiro' (deep rose pink, single), both have been doing beautifully for the three years I've been in the house and had been there obviously at least several years before.

Stay away from 'Shishi Gashira' (even though it is in the nurseries around our area and is beautiful and seductive), it died over the winter two years in a row for me.

- Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here