Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freak65candy

Sawadas Dream Camellia

freak65candy
18 years ago

I need to know if anyone has a source for this camellia??

Anyone know where to get camellia liners?

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Nuccio's, in Altadena, CA has sold it. They put out a mailorder catalog.

• freak65candy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks.I plan on contacting them.I have been meaning to do so for awhile.Have you ever ordered from them?

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

I have not patronized them directly myself but I think I have encountered their stock in at least one local garden center. I do not remember anything in particular about it, probably the main draw is Nuccio's selection--especially when people are ordering for resale to non-professionals it can be hard to find a wide selection for prices and quality that lend themselves to this arena. Another local outlet that has a long established reputation for more interesting varieties (of garden plants in general) has had a problem with their mainstream camellia supplier sending them impossibly rootbound specimens. This is not rare, unfortunately, at least two major wholesale container nurseries (the same one with the garbage camellias and another big player) routinely send out plants with tight knots of roots at the base of the trunk. Some of the camellias in the one recent instance actually had a clearly discernible, small sqaure of major roots bulging up out of the top of the pot, indicating where they had been left sitting way too long in band or liner pots at some point in the production cycle. Most unprofessional!

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

I ordered four Camellias from Nuccios four years ago, including Sawadas Dream. They were sent in clear plastic bags with soil around the roots. I recall that I paid between $70 and $80 for my order, which included crating(their term), and COD charges for the company that delivered them. They do have an enormous selection, but I was a bit surprised at how much I had to pay. I may bite the bullet and order again as they list one called Grape Soda that I'd really like to have.

This reminds me I need to try and move my SD as it is in way too much shade. Its not much bigger now than when I planted it(12/1/02). I also ordered Camellia yuhsienensis(in full fragrant bloom now), japonica 'Dahlonega', and a Higo called 'Ohkan'. I planted the species and Ohkan the same day as SD and Dahlonega on 11/29. All have shown quite a lot of growth except SD.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

So you paid 20 dollars or less per plant? Doesn't seem high, maybe not even for liners. Special plants in small quantities via mailorder are often more than common ones from local outlets anyway. Figure you are paying the grower extra to carry what you want and send it to you.

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

I recall after I received my order I did some checking into prices. I would have had to order from two separate mailorder nurseries to get all four, but it still would have been less, even with shipping, than what I paid Nuccios. So, I don't agree with you BBoy.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Yesterday I paid over 150 dollars for two small, grafted tree peonies.

• camelliatea
    17 years ago

We all have to remember that camellias are different from your average plants. They can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 12 months to root and/or to fill out a pot. Some varieties can be more difficult to root and to grow than others. A lot of time goes into growing these "special" plants and thus we should expect to pay more for them than others. The price paid to Nuccios (and to anyone else who grows that quality of plant) is well within reason.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions