Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia identification w/ pic

Posted by eken9966 z8 AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 05 at 17:28

Does anyone know the name of this camellia? It has looked really good with the blue pansies this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia identification w/ pic

Without a closer shot, it is just a wild guess, but it looks like it could be a "debutante".

Here is a shot of a debutante that I took...
What do you think? Similar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Debutante

o

Here is the best picture of all that I took this morning. The black spots are fire ants!

o

And a description: The outer row of petals are relatively flat, then the second tier of petals are ruffled and white striped, then the last row of petals are flat with a white strip down the middle of each petal. I don't think it is 'Debutante', unless it is a sport.

o

it is somewhat reminiscent of 'dr. tinsley' in form and color. i have seen pics of the plant with slight variations in color, but the form is always the same.
that "white stripe" might just be where the petal was in a fold before it opened.
here is a typical photo of the flower. it is a popular, old cultivar, widely planted in the south.
not a spot on match, so it might be another cultivar.

Here is a link that might be useful: camellia 'dr. tinsley'

o

Try to spot it on either of these two sites. There are about a zillion pink ones and I want all of them!!!

http://www.camellias-acs.com/Gallery/Gallery_Home.html

http://www.eisenhut.ch/list_en.php?where=c&o=0

PB

o

I have spent alot of time looking at the pictures on the ACS website, and I think that I have C. japonica cv. Wildwood. But I think that I also have a sport which is what I took a picture of. Many of the flowers on my plant look exactly like Wildwood. Of course, I haven't been able to find anything on google or yahoo about the introduction date, etc., so I ain't positive, but I'm pretty sure that is what I've got. Thank you for responding. Ken

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS-Wildwood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here