Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiecrosby_gw

Can someone identify this camellia?

katiecrosby
15 years ago

I posted a message to the Gallery page, but I think that maybe more folks read the Discussion page, so here goes again. I have a lovely camellia that I purchased a couple of summers ago without knowing the color or variety of the plant. It has bloomed beautifully for 3 years now, yet I still don't know what its variety might be. It has an almost lotus form, I am thinking that it might be "formal" but I am not sure. It is a very pale pink, lighter in the center and more blush on the edges. I have posted a shot of the entire bush as well as closeups of the blooms on my PicassaWeb page. If someone can have a look at them and help me I'd be thrilled. From looking at the American Camellia Society's encyclopedia, it resembles "Adalyn" or "Amazing Graces," but I just don't know enough about Camellias to be sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

K

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Photo Page

Comments (8)

• Donna
    15 years ago

I am absolutely not an expert, but it looks alot like my camellia, Sawada's Dream.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

That is a pretty one and, if it is SD, it comes with some history, katiecrosby. Mr. Kosaku Sawada came to America in the early 1900s and eventually founded Overlook Nurseries in Alabama where he develop many cultivars from varities that were not cold hardy in the South. H hybridized with camellias that already did well in the South and this one example. He also created many varieties more camellias (White Empress, etc) and other varieties of azaleas, magnolias and amaryllis.

The camellia that you have resembles SD but it also could be Pink Perfection as well. SD blooms late, around March in some places. PP has more clear pink and is fragrant to some people. SD has more white. Both are very elegant, classy-looking flowers... or maybe it is just the photos that I usually see of them in (I do not grow them).

See some photos of both at the Gulf Coast Camellia Society's Website. You should be able to grow both in Zone 8.

Happy New Year, Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulf Coast Camellia Society's Top 10 Favorites

• katiecrosby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the comments! I knew that you kind flower lovers would have some good advice for me. I looked at several pictures of Sawada's Dream and Pink Perfection, and I am thinking that Pink Perfection is the closest match. The Pink Perfection has the shape and increased number of petals like mine, and the blush coloring is fairly uniform as the bloom matures. Also, the description of the bush being upright with small blooms matches the look of my plant. The only problem is that now that I have seen so many beautiful camellias, I want them all!!
    Katie

• Donna
    15 years ago

Join the club, Katie! :)
    Thanks, Luis for that bit of history. I have K Sawada too, which is just now beginning to bloom. My Pink Perfection has the very first bud swelling right now, and you are right, katie's picture could very well be PP. I have noticed that PP always has two or three buds clustered really close together. That might be another clue for you, Katie.

• katiecrosby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great news!
    I managed to drive out to the plant nursery today before they closed, and I met the owner, and sure enough, my camellia is a Pink Perfection. I hate to admit it, but I bought another one (he he). She was such a nice lady, and I promised that I'd go back later and see what other varieties she has. I know I want one of her Grace Albritton bushes.
    After hearing about Sawada's Dream and the history behind it, I want to find one of that variety too! Thank you, Donna and Luis for the helpful hints!

Katie

PS. As soon as there is a nice mild Saturday, I plan to drive down to Magnolia Plantation to have a look at those gardens and the camellias there. I live on a farm only 65 miles from Charleston, and it is a shame that I have never been to see the beautiful gardens around there! When I do, I promise to take lots of pictures to share.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Have a safe trip Katie, and yes, please share some pictures! You can either post them here or include link to a website with the pictures.

• cervelo
    15 years ago

It is a Pink Perfection for certain.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

It looks like my pink perfection too.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions