Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camillia Transplanting help

Posted by larryd7 9 Fl (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 18:12

I live in Orlando Fl, I am in the process of refurbishing my old home in Brooksville to sell. This weekend I discovered a very nice Camillia bush I had forgotten I planted several years ago. It was covered with vines but it is currently full of beautiful pink peppermint blooms. I want to transplant it to my home in Orlando but not sure how or when to do it. Its about 5 feet tall but not to big around. Can I move it now or should I wait for more stable warmer whether? And how do the roots run on these, are they a close ball or do they run? Any advice would be appreciated, I don't want to lose this beautiful plant.
thanks
larryd7

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camillia Transplanting help

Right now is the very best time, as soon as you can while the plant is dormant. In fact, if you move it soon, it may not even feel it. (If you wait for warmer weather that is the worst time.) The roots run, they are not tight. So dig as much root ball as you can, and try to keep the root ball intact as much as possible. Replant in lots of organic mix, plant it high. And keep it well mulched and well watered the first year, especially as the weather warms. I would give it a haircut to take some stress off the roots. Especially prune out any "inside" stems. Pinch off any remaining buds this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here