Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kanjiro for a shady spot?

Posted by carolinamary 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 19:23

Hello Folks,

I'm wondering about some shady spots for a new Kanjiro sasanqua camellia we are going to be getting.

One spot we are thinking of planting it in is really quite shady, with very little, if any, direct sun. It's presently occupied by a Shishigashira that seems to like the spot fine and has bloomed there with lots of blooms for the last 20 or so years. But we are thinking of moving the Shishigashira to a spot where we can see it better from our usual vantage point, since its closer neighbor, Hugh Evans, has been blocking the view of Shishigashira for many of those 20 years. I'm thinking that once we move the Shishigashira the (15 gallon) Kanjiro we are buying would be easier to see there than the wide but still relatively low Shishigashira.

Another spot is just as shady, if not more so. A nearby Debutante in about that amount of sun gets lots of blooms on her but isn't heavy with foliage and I think she is probably wishing she were somewhere else. Is Kanjiro relatively more shade tolerant than Debutante, in your experience?

What are your experiences with Kanjiro?

Thanks for any input,
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kanjiro for a shady spot?

Mary,Kanjiro is a fabulous camellia! I have a hedge of them in filtered light, and they are beautiful. If your Shishi-Gashira has been doing well where it is located, your Kanjiro should do equally as well in the same location. I would not put the Kanjiro in the shadier location where your Debutante is growing. The Debutante should tolerate more heavier shade than the Kanjiro.

o
RE: Kanjiro for a shady spot?

Thanks so much for this information! Well, it's going into the Shishigashira spot for sure. Moving the Shishigashira is going to be tricky, tricky, but I have been thinking about this move for the last ten or so years and once it's done I'll really like the view better.

The Hugh Evans that Kanjiro is going next to was wonderfully fragrant this past year (when we got so much better rainfall than in recent years). I didn't really realize it could be that fragrant. We cut its flowers to bring into the house and I couldn't help but bring it to my nose whenever in its vicinity. I'm hoping for the same sasanqua fragrance with Kanjiro, and read that it's one of the better camellias for cutting too. I'm so looking forward to it now!

Best wishes,
Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here