Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
camelias and freezing temperatures

Posted by luvpatch Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 19:39

Hi! I'm in Houston and we are getting ready for freezing weather for several days. Do I need to cover my camelia's? Thanks so mcuh!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: camelias and freezing temperatures

Very timingly question. I am living at SF Bay Area, It supposes nice warmer in the Winter. No! My house is located at middle of hill. I have ice sheet formation in water bucket about 3/8 inch thick. My plants all in pots are all okay.

I do not think you should worry about in Huston. But you should keep your camellia well watered.

Camellia japonica are also found in nature at eastern China region. There are also many millions of camellia grown in pots in their nuseries. The area weather always has some snow and occasional ice formation.

If you have a red camellia in bloom under thick snow fall, you should take a picture for red and white coloration.

o
RE: camelias and freezing temperatures

They do quite well here in Northern Alabama, where the temperatures dip into the low 20s routinely, every winter. Soft flower buds, showing color, would likely get zapped at those temperatures, but they are really much hardier than you think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here