Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Planning for front yard camellias

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I really want to add some camellias to my front yard (faces North). I removed a crape myrtle that was on the front corner of my lot, as well as adding a Kwanzan Cherry and some other things to the front. I'm going to post some pics and would like some input related to placement. If I need to wait a few years, then it can live with that. Currently, there is a cleopatra in the small bed between my porch and sidewalk, which I plan to move (no way there is room for it at maturity). Any thoughts would be appreciated. I love Japonicas, but understand they may not be able to hold up with the lack of tall trees. Wasnt sure if I needed to pass on adding them to the front with all I have already, but really love them.

Comments (14)

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Corner is a crimson holly with little Bonnie spireas wrapped around. Also, four Autumn chiffon encore azaleas in front of a watnon japanese maple (3 autumn twist on each side of it) and some purple pixie weeping lorapetalum. The Kwanzan Cherry is on the left.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A Bloodgood Japanese maple and a couple drift roses in bed with it. Behind them, in the porch bed, are 4 soft touch hollies, the cleopatra sasanqua and some holly ferns.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking South down the East facing side of the house. Limelight hydrangea in corner, 6 Autumn Sangria Encore Azaleas, and 3 Rosecreek Abelias. Then, the little Bonnies start to wrap around the crimson holly.

This post was edited by Bama_Joe on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 20:00

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Three azaleas on each side of the Watnong japanese maple and four dwarf autumn chiffon encore in front of the maple. Purple pixies are on the far right going down past the sidewalk.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking at he Bloodgood bed and Kwanzan on the right.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kwanzan on left and good bit of open space.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where the crape myrtle was and more empty space and the fence posts are coming down.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Out in the open?

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes sir, my Japonicas are out back. I would like something out front if possible. I figured There weren't any Japonicas that would take the sun.

Also, is there something I could add, without overcrowding, to provide shade for Japonicas in a few years?

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can someone move this to the landscaping forum please? That may have been the appropriate forum to begin with.

I felt like I wanted Camellias out there, but it may not be a viable option. The Crape Myrtle is gone and I would like to do something, be it an island bed with japanese maples, or something.

This post was edited by Bama_Joe on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 19:38

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Looking at your yard in a general way, if you want to have camellias, you'd better start building up some high shade ASAP. For recommendations on fast growing but sturdy trees for your area, visit the trees forum.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

To create a shady environment for camellias you could create a new bed and plant a loblolly pine. Limb it up early. You need something that would provide high, but not so dense shade, and also something with roots that won't complete (maples are among the worst!).

I'd also be tempted to plant a specimen Southern Mag in the front yard. It's a personal thing, but I love evergreens. If you can find a cultivar 'Alta' or 'Greenback', those are my faves. They don't get quite a huge.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hadn't thought about Magnolias, since I use to think they were ugly. The only specimens I saw were not limbed up and had grass growing around the base, taller than the lowest branches. I'd love to have a specimen of magnolia that attracts hummers! They're also a Southern tree in the truest sense, sort of like a Camellia (Camellia Japonica is our state flower).

Not sure about a pine, dont believe it would look right, but would consider other evergreens that compliment the rest of my front yard. I know jack about evergreens, besides the fact they are not deciduous.

Also, Manolias are listed as providing dappled shade? Every one I saw looked like it threw dense shade, that's only an observation..a side note.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started looking around the neighborhood and never realize doers had pines. I understand they are spaced closer than what I currently have out back, Allee Elms (will have them removed). Out front, believe I have room for one or two, since they grow much differently than deciduous trees I currently have. Have to figure out spacing now and how many I should have planted.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions