16 years ago

{{gwi:504153}}

{{gwi:504155}}

One just starts to turn white:

{{gwi:504157}}

Comments (8)

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

Very nice, snasxs. How tall is the plant and how long do the blooms last indoors?

• longriver
    16 years ago

This one should be cultivar 'Kona', a sport of 'Hawaii'.
    Mine is more of long and late bloomer. Mostly the blooms would last till June due to the shady and cool evening condition in my yard. It may consist of about 200 petals, large, small and tiny petaloids. I have an interesting seedling with 'Kona' as parentage plant. It is named in China called 'Jinhua Jade plate'.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:504151}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Longriver, this is not Kona. It is an American cultivar. It's Chinese name is "Green Jade" or "Lu Feicui".

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

very unusual and pretty. i have not seen a green camellia flower before. about how long after opening do they begin to change to white?

• longriver
    16 years ago

WoW! It is new to me. No wonder the timing of bloom is different. In room terperature however can be different in blooming time. Kona can be medium to large in size with slightly greenish shade. By digital appearance anyway it is totally a 'Kona'. The name of 'Green Jade' is not a formal registered name in China. Because I know the people in Charge of registration in China and their list of recent registerd cultivars. 'Green Jade' is not listed as part of traditional ancient Chinese Tea Flowers.
    I know camellias and camellia friends in China in most major provinces. I shall see all of them in Feb. I did not see it on the Chinese camellia internet sites as their new seedling. Is it from Taiwan or a new personal seedling flower or new sport? Again it is not likely a new one.

About 16 years ago, myself as a representative of Northern California Camellia society of USA, hundreds of American camellias and hybrids were sent to China in exchange of hundreds of traditional Chinese tea flowers( C. japonica) and their camellia species. Therefore many western camellias in China were sent by NCCS. 'Kona' name in Chinese translation is actually '¥i®R' It is also possible a local chinese camellia grower renames this plant as 'Green Jade' for his nursery.

All above are my logic assumptions. not a real definition for your 'Green Jade'.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Longriver,

If you examine the edge of each petal, does it look like Kona? But I don't think it is new. The seller says this is an American cultivar. If not, well, could it be an European cultivar?

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The seller tells me that she had Kona last year. She is sure these two are different.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I made a mistake. Its Chinese name is "Yu Feicui" or "Jade Jadeite".

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions