o
2008 indoor Camellia blooming ... with Carnation edge

Posted by snasxs 7-8 VA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 20:07

One just starts to turn white:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2008 indoor Camellia blooming ... with Carnation edge

Very nice, snasxs. How tall is the plant and how long do the blooms last indoors?

o

This one should be cultivar 'Kona', a sport of 'Hawaii'.
Mine is more of long and late bloomer. Mostly the blooms would last till June due to the shady and cool evening condition in my yard. It may consist of about 200 petals, large, small and tiny petaloids. I have an interesting seedling with 'Kona' as parentage plant. It is named in China called 'Jinhua Jade plate'.

Here is a link that might be useful: [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/JinhuaJadePlate.jpg[/IMG]

o

Longriver, this is not Kona. It is an American cultivar. It's Chinese name is "Green Jade" or "Lu Feicui".

o

very unusual and pretty. i have not seen a green camellia flower before. about how long after opening do they begin to change to white?

o

WoW! It is new to me. No wonder the timing of bloom is different. In room terperature however can be different in blooming time. Kona can be medium to large in size with slightly greenish shade. By digital appearance anyway it is totally a 'Kona'. The name of 'Green Jade' is not a formal registered name in China. Because I know the people in Charge of registration in China and their list of recent registerd cultivars. 'Green Jade' is not listed as part of traditional ancient Chinese Tea Flowers.
I know camellias and camellia friends in China in most major provinces. I shall see all of them in Feb. I did not see it on the Chinese camellia internet sites as their new seedling. Is it from Taiwan or a new personal seedling flower or new sport? Again it is not likely a new one.

About 16 years ago, myself as a representative of Northern California Camellia society of USA, hundreds of American camellias and hybrids were sent to China in exchange of hundreds of traditional Chinese tea flowers( C. japonica) and their camellia species. Therefore many western camellias in China were sent by NCCS. 'Kona' name in Chinese translation is actually 'iR' It is also possible a local chinese camellia grower renames this plant as 'Green Jade' for his nursery.

All above are my logic assumptions. not a real definition for your 'Green Jade'.

o

Longriver,

If you examine the edge of each petal, does it look like Kona? But I don't think it is new. The seller says this is an American cultivar. If not, well, could it be an European cultivar?

o

The seller tells me that she had Kona last year. She is sure these two are different.

o

Sorry, I made a mistake. Its Chinese name is "Yu Feicui" or "Jade Jadeite".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here