Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

When to transplant my Camelia please?

gardenbug
10 years ago

I want to transplant my camelia from the west side of the house to the northeast side. It get's too much sun in the afternoon where it is now. I'm just not sure when I should do this? I am in zone 8b, BC. The camelia in question is lily pons and is 3 years old.

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Now is a good time to transplant camellias (late Fall thruy early Spring is ok) as they are somewhat semi-dormant. This may affect the flower buds in a bad way though, since LP probably has not bloomed yet but, based on your explanation, it has to be transplanted.

You could also delay transplanting a bit (so you get to see a few blooms) and theeeen transplant it. LP should start blooming in Feb (or thereabouts). When has it bloomed for you in the last few years?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Luis, You helped me before with my camelia and I have been grateful to you. Last year she bloomed in March. Gorgeous flowers. Hmmm - maybe you have a good idea there. . . waiting to transplant after it blooms, that way I can enjoy those gorgeous (lily-like) blooms. I noticed last year a couple of leaves got burned where it is currently planted on the west side of the house. It gets morning shade and hot afternoon sun. I think maybe the northeast corner of my house would be better. It only gets a bit of morning sun and shade there. Thanks Luis.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Your location sounds like one that I selected for another part-shade loving plant once. It was the west side too but it worked as another bush provided shade in the afternoon. It worked for me fine until I had, oops, water problems with the sprinkler system. Gosh... if it is not one thing, it can be another.....

Good luck with the new location, cadence. And once moved, remember to treat the plant in the new location as if you had just planted it brand new (ck the pH & soil moisture often, mulch, etc).

This post was edited by luis_pr on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 18:49

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Luis, I'm definitely going to wait until the blooms are finished. I will check the soil ph and provide it with a good mulch.
    Thanks again for all your help.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Since transplanting when dormant is the goal, try not to wait too long. If I was you, I would be in a quandry. My camellias normally start blooming in Dec (late Dec) but a series of cold spells confused them enough to not bloom. Now I am not sure when they will do their thing and their buds are too small to indicate they will be starting soon. If I had to transplant under those conditions, I would "give up" the bloomage and proceed to transplant if it looks like this will go on until the end of Winter in this area.

Luis

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Luis,
    Okay, it's April 15th today and I noticed 3 beautiful blooms on my Lily Pons. They are gorgeous. I haven't transplanted it yet. Now I am thinking of transplanting it to a large pot and placing it on my deck where it will receive semi-shade. When is the best time to do this? Thanks Luis

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

You should be good to do this by now. Then again, we almost had a freeze on Tuesday morning and I had to bring inside some of the most sensitive plants... for the nth time this year! If you are concerned about leaf damage, you can wait until 2 weeks after the average date of last frost but the plant/leaves per se should be able to survive most temps now... as long as the roots are watered the night before and you add some mulch. I would only worry when the dips go to the lower 20s or teens. This reminds me.. I have seen some people drape/cover the pots themselves when the pot is heavy and the temps are going down. Hee hee hee! I confess it was quite an odd sight when I first saw it!

Post pictures of the blooms!