Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of Camelia is this?

Posted by DebbieHam USDA 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 21:28

My Mom left me her home, and when I moved in, I noticed these two plants in the backyard. They are about 3 1/2 feet tall. Last year, there were lots of big deep pink buds on these two plants, but none of them opened. It seemed as if something were eating them. This year, to my surprise, one plant has lots of buds, and they are actually opening. They are deep pink, with lots of petals. After they have been opened for a few days, the edges start turning a deep purple. What kind of Camelia is this? It has lots of petals and they are very firm. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of Camelia is this?

Look through the pictures on this site and see if you can see anything like it.

Can you post a picture?
PB

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Camellia Pictures

o

What a nice description, and a nice story too! That bloom sounds exactly like 'Mathotiana' (more commonly called Purple Dawn), one of the all-time classics. I am sure your mother was very proud of it. See if this is it:

o

thank you both for your help, It lookes like the Mathotiana Rubra, and it also looks like the Middle Georgia. There isn't anything in the middle of this bloom. Nothing yellow. What ever it is, it's beautiful.

o

Yes, for sheer garden value Mathotiana is hard to beat. Another nice picture to compare is posted here in the Camellia Forum photo gallery by Casey's Mom. Check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here