Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolineridge

camellia for the pacific northwest

carolineridge
15 years ago

Hello,

I am looking for a wholesale nursery with a good selection of camellia's in the Pacific Northwest.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Now that you mentioned it, have you checked (or heard of) Glenn or Glen Walters Nursery in Oregon? I tried to check them out some time ago and they appeared to be a large wholesaler but I could not research them in terms of their camellia selection. Have you heard of them? Do you know anything about their camellia inventory?

I remember them because of their website. I have a broadband connection for the Internet but it was so sloooow downloading files that it sort-of stopped/froze after I downloaded about 20% of the catalog file! Gave up!

I know they know it is slow because they let you link up to their catalog two ways. They provide a link to the whole catalog as a single file. They also divide their catalog into multiple pdf files alphabetically. For example, (and just a bad example, mind you) PDF File I contained plants with the letters A-B, File II was C-D and File III was the rest. There may have been 3-5 files, I do not recall exactly.

I know that I selected the first one which contained camellias and it was like watching paint dry.... Tried several times and finally gave up and never returned to the website. I did remain curious... They need or they needed less graphics in those files and more computer horsepower.

Most camellia vendors are clustered in the Southeast, Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena California being an exception. I have always been puzzled about that since the NW contains a few good nurseries and wholesaler of azaleas and rhododendrons. They are also closer to China and Japan, source of many camellia varieties not easily found here.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Camellia flowers prone to damage here in the north. Hardy rhododendrons etc. can be mass produced in open fields up here whereas only California climate is suitable to large-scale outdoor production of camellias on west coast. Local garden centers appear to get most of them from Hines and Monrovia. Unfortunately both tend to send up badly rootbound specimens, some of these with viral mottling as well.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

What seems to be the cause of the damage, bboy? Wild temperature swings? We have that problem over here so I would have thought that nurseries there could specialize in early or late flowering camellias.

I have seen many early flowering sasanquas in websites from Japan/China/Vietnam that look very nice and would be a nice addition to our gardens (but the big problem is making sure that they can withstand our cooler weather). Oh, well. One can still wish and dream for free, can we not? Sigh...

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Nothing about the climate here is wild but we have frosts and rain during the winter, as well as camellia petal blight.

Sponsored
More Discussions