Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Camellia

Posted by donnabaskets 7B, MS (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 22:10

I cut away a sucker from a friend's garden about a year ago. She has since lost her original plant. (The neighbor's herbicide drifted. What a heartbreak.) Her home's former owner was the "camellia queen" here in our town, and I have a feeling this plant is something very special. It's definitely not a japonica. The leaves look like my Donation, but a deeper green, and it's habit is unusual. The branches grow straight out from the trunk, horizontal to the ground. It's too small to bloom yet, but it is growing much more rapidly than my japonicas do. The blooms are a formal double and are a rich wine (not purple and not red. Wine.) color.
Does anyone have any idea what it might be, or can you recommend a source whereby I might identify it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Camellia

Oh yes, it was a late bloomer too. Thanks!

o

Camellia Black Lace perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample Picture

o
Another Possibility

Or Camellia Royal Velvet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample Picture

o
Yet Another Possibility

Or Camellia Blood Of China?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample picture

o

Black Lace is the closest, but the blooms definitely had more petals than that. I knew I was asking an extremely tough question. When it blooms, I will post a picture.
THANKS, luis. You're awfully good to respond to so many questions. How did you get so smart?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here