{{gwi:504429}}
{{gwi:504432}}

Comments (22)

• tamararly
    15 years ago

Very nice!!

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Very formal looking and great colors, snasxs. My Japonicas are taking a break now so I am glad to see pictures while they recharge and start to bloom again. How much more blooming time do you think you still have to go with this one?

• Donna
    15 years ago

Oh, lovely! Do you know its name by chance? It's different from any I have seen in my area.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is one of the classical Chinese cultivars that survived through the era of Qeen Cixi. I think the name is "white eighteen scholars". During the communist era, they cost 10 dollars each. Now, you cannot find a tiny one below 300 dollars.

• tamararly
    15 years ago

For sure that will be too expensiv! Is it in your garden? Perhaps you would like to share cuttings? Such a wonderful tree !!

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Where is long_river? He should have one.

• steve52
    15 years ago

Where in VA are you?Thanks,Steve

• tamararly
    15 years ago

Longriver? He makes perhaps holidays ? -:) When he comes back to the forum I'll ask him. Hope with me that he is willing to cut.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve, why do you want to know the location of my property? Lol! Should I expect my flowering trees disappear soon?

• longriver
    15 years ago

snasxs: The formal double bi-color is a wonderful camellia. I do have red and white seedling flowers. The flower apearance are only so so, single and irregular two row-petal arrangement. However both have obvious nice fragrance. I am still trying to produce a better next generation

My desktop computer was crashed last week. It shall be fixed by replacing another hard disk drive. I also ordered a new Dell copmuter on line yesterday.I use my laptop computer just for e-mail at time being. I have not been traveling around often on computer lately. Hopefully I will be sending you all the pictures later.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Long River,

You could be more entrepreneuristic when you go to China. You might develop a want-list. When you see a plant in the list, take it. Once you bring them in the US, you will be generously rewarded by your customers.

I look forward to pictures of your currently blooming camellias.

• longriver
    15 years ago

I like to breed new camellia for fun. I spend only a small amount money for my hobby. I expect not even one dollar for return.I have many camellia friends in China. I do send my selected seedlings to China for evaluation. It is a very important part of my task.I want their feed-back. It is very hard to receive any valuable camellia species from China to U. S. They have a very rigid control.

I went to Dali City, Yunnan Province, China last Feb.(habitat of C. reticulata )to attend China's National Camellia Show. I donated three new reticulate hybrid plants bearing large to very large white flower with tinge pink at outer petal. My great reward is that they shall plant my new camellias in three of their famous Buddhist temples.

If I feel comfortable then I will release my seedling in U. S. I hate to rush to register a new camellia that later it turns out to be a "dog ". My first new plant release in U S is "Nuer Hong", name of a famous Chinese rice wine. It is a fragrant camellia. The flower is required to set in room temperature over night to develop the aroma. I will see the response from nuseries and my close camellia friends here first. I am not in a hurry at all.

• longriver
    15 years ago

I checked a reference Book in Chinese printed in 1988," Chinese Camellias" on their traditional camellias cultivar picture#167 called 'White Three Scholars". It is a formal double, white with incidental center petals and two side petal showing solid red.It is almost identical to the picture of snasxs'. I will take a picture from the book to verify the fact.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Again,picture # 133, called 'Colorful 18 Scholars'is also showing the similar R&W flower as snasxs'.

There are two pictures of #134, both called 'White 18 Scholars' ----one has short red streaks and the other is pure white.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks longriver for checking a book for real.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Traditional Chinese Camellias 'Three Schlors' in different mutations

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:504413}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

This seedling flower has a different red and white. It has nice fragrance. The inner petals are not very neat so this flower is only used as a mother plant. Actually there are four seedling plants were produced. Two,including this one, have more aroma than that of other two. The red color patches are changing or different from flower to flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:504418}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Long river,

I think the number in front of the name "scholars" is related to the layering and organization of petals. It has little to do with color.

BTW, it seems you have spent major time studying the book. I hope the cultivars in the old-looking book are not extinct now.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Actually camellia business in China is very huge. Their new book printing on camellias are one after another. All southern provinces are suitable to grow camellia. Now it is the time for Camellia activities in ever province that is beyond people here to comprehend. I visited Jinhua, Zhejiang last year( like Fort Valley, Georgia, ACS Head Office). There was a nursery propagating only Chinese traditional camellias. Wenzhuo City is also a traditional camellia center. Many were shipped to Taiwan Province in Qing Dynasty.

I just received pictures from Yunnan Province about their cerebration last week.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:504421}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:504421}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

My traditional Chinese camellia, 'White 18 Scholars' is in bloom. '18 Scholars' indicates a group camellias varied whithin a camellia family.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:504425}}

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions